1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Bass Player Magazine just chastise us?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    In this months BP magazine, Bill Leigh wrote in his "Lowdown from the editor" of the bassist's pursuit of fame, or lack thereof. He expounds on how Paul Chambers, Joe Osborn, or James Jamerson probably never expected fame, and were probably "too focused on doing great work and bringing home the beans to contemplate their place on the obscurity - to - fame continuum". Yet, he moves on to say this:

(Emphasis mine.)

Could Bill Leigh be busting our chops? It seems to me that there's a slight dig here, and I must admit that there were a few TB members here that instantly sprang to mind upon reading this. Perhaps I read too much into it, but it seems that Bill was chastising those who would pursue "fame" through sites like TB are somehow less focused and less musical than the aforementioned bassists. Hmmm?

Being that he writes for a living, he would understand the connotations of using the word "vociferous" - it's not necessarily a word used to imply a principled manner of speaking. Witness:

According to Oxford American Dictionary -

Methinks Bill is having a bit of fun at the expense of some of our more "famous" members. What do you think?

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Or he's telling us to quit clamoring over/about gear and get practicing/gigging more.

3. That's a rather strange statement. It's not like many people knew who Jamerson was in the time he was working for (or, as some would say, defining) Tamla Motown. I mean, you could make the same claim for small acts.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...another thing to consider is the nature of the game. The model of compensation/fame has changed dramatically since Jamerson's time. Online fame, -and I hate to do this but I'm going to use a marketing term-, can be monetized as easily or more so than the traditional model.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Who, me?
    :smug:

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    couldnt be...

then who....

haha.

7. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Oh well, his magazine blows.

8. OMG! Are you THE Brad Johnson????

I can has autograph? :ninja:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about me.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yeah... now move on before I get all Sean Penn on ya.
    :bassist::mad::bassist:

11. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Maybe he dug up the old Qintar threads :bag:

12. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's 'cause you are closing in on 17.5k and still posting
    one liners.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Actually my first thought on reading that has to be :

Jeff Berlin

He's probably more famous for saying controversial things on online forums, than his music has ever been!! ;)

And his acrimonious departure from here - had many ripples....:eyebrow:

14. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Writes for a living, but uses the phrase, "principal fame-claim"? :scowl:

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Describes Jeff Berlin's style perfectly though....;)

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Well... if the person takes his words as such they must have something to be paranoid about. Usually when something strikes home it's for a reason.

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

That's the first name that popped in my head.

18. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    I think Bill makes a good point. It's not just with this site, but forums all around have resulted in an increasing number of "famous" people who are only famous because they don't STFU on internet forums. There are plenty of people who'd have you think they're experts in a particular area because they have a high post count.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jeff hasn't posted here for years. And, he was "famous" as far as bass players go years before there was a Talkbass.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well - it's obviously not about TB - and what albums has he released in the last few years that are "famous" or have sold any copies?

He's more famous now (which was the point of the comment) for being the curmudgeonly guy who tells everybody not to use a metronome and stirs up trouble online - like overdubbing tracks etc. etc.