Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did Bob Daisley play on "Flying High Again" ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, so I'm not the world's biggest Ozzy fan, but the bass on this song kills me. Simple, but extremely effective. Just what the song needs.

Rudy Sarzo on Bob Daisley seem to share bass duties on this album, just wondered which one played this song.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Rudy NEVER recorded with Ozzy, except for that live album. Flying High is Bob alright. Bob Daisley did bass on Ozzy's first two albums, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman).

rtslinger and monsterthompson like this.
  3. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    And whatever happened to him?

4. Bob Daisley is the one who played Flying High Again, and interestingly, he did that track with a Hofner Violin bass. The rest of the Diary of a Madman album was a P Bass.

5. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

I love the way that bass line interacts with the drums. I have always thought that was one of Bob's cooler simplistic bass parts.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What's being described is what Bob does/did best. He played parts that weren't technical showcases, but they provided a counterpoint to the heavy guitar focus of the music that offered a whole heck of a lot more than a lot of his steady eighth note contemporaries at the time. Melodic but still rhythmic.. Bob rules.

7. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Definitely! He's one of my all time favorites.

8. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Sharon....

9. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Sharon got Robert Trujillo and a drummer to overdub exact bass and drum parts over all of Bob's and Lee kerslakes parts after a royalty dispute. I remember hearing crazy train on the radio once and thinking " that sounds different" I couldn't put my finger on it until I heard about the overdubs.

10. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    the story is... She wanted to get Tommy on drums (giving Lee the axe), when Bob argued, she fired them both. There was an on/off again story from that point on - read Bob's site about his story w/ the Osbournes. If you don't believe it, Jake & Carmine have pretty much the exact stories of their working relationships w/ the same people...

& for the redo, of the albums, she was so upset w/ them, that she had them removed. She claimed that Ozzy was upset, but when asked, Ozzy said he didn't even know what happened, then insisted that when the 30th Ann. versions came out, that the original tracks be put back...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What a tough position for Robert Trujillo and whoever the drummer was that did the overdubs. On the one hand I'm sure there was a question of personal ethics, but on the other I'm sure this came with a big payday for two high profile, but arguably working musicians (i.e. not household names by any means outside of the bass/drum communities). I would have immediate reservations about performing those session gigs, but at the same time... Money speaks pretty loudly if there's enough of it.

12. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    She's always scared me. Reminds me of a certain Presidential candidate..

13. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Tonight off DOAMM.
    That bass line.............drool

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    Sharon learned how to screw them like a pro, from her own father.
    They co-managed Sabbath until the whole split. Tony Iommi said they were so much alike that they couldn't stand one another.

mindwell likes this.
  15. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Jovial Curmudgeon Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    U.S.A. Left Coast
    Yep the queen of Darkness

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    That's almost as bad as how Ginger Baker never saw a dime of royalties for Cream tunes, because he was the drummer.
    I guess Jack was collecting until his death & Eric probably still is.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    its pretty obvious that the rhythm section is the same for the first two records. Kerslake and Daisley-Killer!

18. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

It's also obvious that Randy Rhoads' guitar tracks were meddled with also.

19. Ricky Brezina

Ricky Brezina

May 4, 2014
    yeah..I read Bob's book "FOR FACTS SAKE" what a book. Highy recommended! if you want the real tale of what went on. That has to be one of the craziest things in Rock history....erasing the drums and bass and have two other guys do the parts. BOB DAISLEY is a great player....love his work on Rainbow and Gary Moore.

Gluvhand likes this.
  20. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Mike Bordin rerecorded the drum parts for the 2002 reissues of Blizzard and Diary.