Did Cliff Burton use all 4 fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Greenantgods, May 8, 2005.

1. Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    Cliff Lee Burton is so awesome...i've heard he used all four fingers...is that true?
  2. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    no... watch cliff em' all... he always has his pinky sticking out not moving at all
  3. Yeah, he extends his pinky really far, it looks weird. I've never seen anyone play that way before.
  4. I had never heard that. Personally, as a former guitarist, I have developed a odd picking style. Right thumb, and three fingers but I also have an extended pinky never noticed it though. A guitar teacher I had at LA Tech pointed out to me, he said was wrong. I say it's out of the way.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I kinda do the same thing, mostly I just put my pinky wherever I cna to keep it out of the way. The part about cliff's technique that always really threw me was the way he plays about half the time without anchoring his thumb, yet somehow this doesn't effect his timing or anything....I sure as hell could never do that (and I most certainly tried too).
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Depending on what I play will be how far I stick out my pinkie. If it's something fast I hold it out almost straight, if it's a slower line It'll be more curled in but still sticking out a little bit. guess it's sort of a speedometer for me :)
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    When using three fingers my pinky kinda sticks out but also follow similar movement to my ring finger. Billy sheehan does the same thing with his pinky. Though with two fingers my ring and pinky are almost taped together, again moving slightly with my middle finger.
    I don't think cliff really ever used a 3 or 4 finger technique. I'm pretty sure he always used two.
  8. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    When using three fingers the pinky involunarily moves back and forth with the ring finger. So it is easy to mistake a three finger technique for a four finger technique. I have found lots of controversy over this. And I am telling ya.. That the four finger technique is garbage and would not even be useful.

The cool cats play without anchoring!! :D
  9. :rolleyes: What's anchoring. :rolleyes: Acctually I know what it is so don't reply to the question. I just don't use it. If I want to keep my bass from moving around, which it doesn't unless I'm jumping around, I use the base of my palm. This allows me to use all of my attacking fingers (and thumb). :bassist: