1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

did/do you ever have an interest in an instrument other than bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    for me the answer is largely no...

I was attracted to/obsessed with the bass lines i heard on LedZep albums, than on some Mayalls bluesbreakers albums..

Over the years I picked up an acoustic guitar and a keyboard more or less just to have something to work out chord structures on so i could hear what they sounded like, but bass was really the only instrument i had any interest in putting time into studying.

you?

Stumbo likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Played guitar and took some lessons for a few months before joining a band that needed a bass player. I was the least experienced guitar player so I was elected.:thumbsup:

I've kept up learning guitar chords, blues and such. Also learned some keys for a music theory class and to play some blues piano/organ.

Never regretted switching to bass. :bassist:

LowActionHero, Groove Doctor and JRA like this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Keyboards.
    My mother was a piano player so there was one in the house when I was growing up, I took piano lessons for several years before moving on to bass guitar. I am planning on diving back into keyboards very soon.

basted and Stumbo like this.
  4. In chronological order:
    violin
    piano
    viola
    harpsichord
    church organ
    chromatic harmonica
    electric bass guitar

5. I started off playing drums before I played bass, so I kinda still have an interest in drums.
    And I really love the look (and tone/sound) of Telecasters and Les Paul's, to the point of owning 'versions' of each.

Stumbo and fleabitten like this.
  6. Guitar, though I learned piano first because that's what good middle-class kids do. Oh, and flute for a while, because I liked the sound of it; I still have that thing lying around, too.

7. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned SUSPENDED

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Definitely. Vocals, guitar (much better lead player surprisingly), mouth organ, ukulele, and I'm probably the worst drummer on earth.

8. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    drums
    if i didnt play bass id play drums

Stumbo, scuzzy, RolandMHall and 2 others like this.
  9. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    I play professionally: saxes, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, oboe, recorder (pit reed player)

I also own a good bit of cultural wind instruments like a bansuri, duduk, Irish whistle, etc.

And of course I dabble on guitar, keys and drums.

Music is great.

10. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Tried guitar and I still strum and finger pick some, but bass was my place.

And then my daughter discovered cello and so did I.
    I wished I'd learned it as a kid. What a voice it has.

Stumbo likes this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If I knew then what I know now, I would have started with piano.

Riis

Stumbo, ERIC31, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  12. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    synthesizers

Trumpet

Stumbo, Holdsg and Alik like this.
  13. You're only saying that because you haven't heard what happened last time I got behind a kit. There's a reason it was the last time.

Wulfensteiner likes this.
  14. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned SUSPENDED

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think our I.Q is just far too high for drums...BOOM-TSH indeed..

Stumbo likes this.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I started on piano as a child but never got too far with it. Surprisingly, I was able to teach myself it through a couple of introductory books for kids that my older brother had received when he was younger.

I moved over to alto saxophone in middle school and did bari sax in jazz band, which I think is where my love for the low end came from.

The girl who played guitar in jazz band inspired me to pick up the acoustic guitar that was laying around my house. I learned a few chords on it but I really wanted an electric so I got one when I was 13ish. It was fun, but I would try to learn my bari sax parts on guitar. Eventually I found bassists like Steve Harris and John Taylor and I decided to try bass instead. I liked it more so I stuck with it :)

Since then I've dabbled more with guitar, harmonica, and piano, but bass remains my main instrument.

XrisThaBassman likes this.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yes and no.

I'm certain bass is the instrument I was born to play. It's what attracted me to music when I was a kid, and still what attracts me most.

I however started first banging out melodies on a Magnus chord organ at about age 4, which then got my parents to get me accordion lessons (long story) at 7, which then led me to buying a Farfisa organ (13), and then a geee-tar. My introduction to bass was when I was around 14 years old and a friend left his bass at my house. The strings were about an inch off the fretboard, and despite how badly I wanted to learn to play it, I didn't have the strength. I thought that was just the way basses were. I became a guitarist

Guitar was much easier.

Until I realized how stupid that was.

At about age 27 I discovered the truth. Bass is a billion times easier :).

And I lived happily ever after.

PS. My brother was a drummer and I grew up with drums in my basement. Played them all through growing up too, but never had a desire to do so in a band. And I played the recorder in the 2nd grade.

Stumbo, mikewalker and Matthew_84 like this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    did/do you ever have an interest in an instrument other than bass?
    Of course!

18. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I dabble in piano and guitar also. I just love music!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::bassist::hyper:

-Asdfgh-, Holdsg and Artman like this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Any stringed instrument interest me. I’m decently competent on guitar and now getting pretty decent on pedal steel, dobro, lap steel. Have some competence on drums but I’m pretty rusty these days. Have dabbled with banjo, mandolin, double bass, cello and a variety of dulcimers. I’ve taken a few bagpipe lessons!

jamro217 and Stumbo like this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes indeed. I play many instruments, medium, to badly: Bass, guitar, uke, drums, percussion, banjo, mando, keyboards, in order of incompetence.

jamro217, wildman2 and Deak like this.