Did/Do you learn scales?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, May 26, 2003.

1. No

5 vote(s)
  2. Yes

51 vote(s)
  3. ...I only learned my carrots

5 vote(s)
  1. Did you?

Has it helped your bass playing?

Once you have a sense of time and rythim, scales are EVERYTHING else.
  3. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I fought it for a long time and refused to do it when I was self taught. Once I started lessons however, it became mandatory. At first it seemed useless. Major scales, minor scales, modes of the major scale, harmonizing the major scale blah blah blah... Then one day it just started seeming to come together. In just about every song I hear/play now I can quickly pick out the key/scale it's based on and use that scale and variations of it to come up with more than plain old boring root banging. Long story short...it will seem like it takes awhile for it to pay off, but it does. Once you locate the "I" of the song, your hands can take it from there.
  4. see,

I wanna learn 'em...

but,it is so confusing to me

all I know is that there are 8 notes in a scale.

thats it
  5. There are so many scales and variants, and depending on the style and type of music one plays the learning can be almost continuous.

Lucas Pickford has a great site to get some insight into scales and where to use them. Hundreds to learn....Pick's Place Articles

Or better - GET A TEACHER!
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    In answer to the questions, yes and yes.

lol, actually you got that wrong. Major & minor scales have 7 notes (the 8th is the same as the 1st). Whereas other scales have varying numbers of notes - the chromatic scale has 12, whole tone has 6, pentatonic has 5, blues scale has 6, diminished scale has 8.

Jazzbo's introduction to scale & chord theory would be a good start.
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well scales themselves aren't, but knowing how to use the scales and the notes in them to form chords an harmonies/dissonances, etc. is almost everything else...;)
  9. I've always put things other way..
    despite how I learned scales, I've always practiced them and taught them (to friends or jammates) differently.

I like to tell people they only need to learn all the major scales. (12 of them) but from the lowest note of their instrument, to the highest, and then learning to derivate those scales into modes. and that's it.
  10. You need to learn scales if ya wanna be a sight reader or even read music in general. There very important and if your a musician and you havent learn your chords yet (with drummers as an exception) DO IT NOW!!!
  11. Thats actually what I meant.. If you know scales, you understand how to build chords and harmonies.
  12. Nameless Poet

Nameless Poet

Sep 4, 2002
    Great way to build up speed and strength too.
  13. thought about lessons/teacher...

I wanna prove to myself I can do this on my own.
  14. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I cannot imagine not knowing at least major and minor scales. I cannot begin to descibe the limitations one has by not knowing these building blocks of music. Once you start to learn scales then will come the progressions )chords inside the degrees of the scales). learning and practicing scales taught me how to ad lib, pick up songs much easier and help me notice that all songs were like other songs. when you hear someone say let's play a 1-4-5 they are basically talkin blues, When they say lets play a 1-6-2-5 they are basically talkin standard jazz progression. the numbers in these progressions are the degree of the scale in which is to be played.
  15. Of course. I'm going to learn many more soon. I mainly rely on major scales. I like happy sounding music.
  16. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Even with a teacher, you will still be learning them on your own. It is going to be you sitting at home practicing, absorbing, and learning what the teacher taught you.
  17. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to skew the data, but I did learn scales and I believe that it has helped my playing a great deal. I accidentally pressed no. Stupid poll. Stupid me.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    swallow your pride and get a teacher. no offense, but i read your other post in general instruction about how scales confuse you and how youve read ALL the threads pertaining to learning scales here.

Quite a few of the threads on scales here are put very simply. So if you honestly read all the threads about scales and still dont get it, then you need to humble yourself and find a good teacher. They will be able to do much more than anyone here can for you. They can provide you with visual examples as well as show you the propor way to finger them. Not to mention answer on the spot questions you may have.

If ya get a teacher and are still totally confused after a few lessons then I recomend putting down the bass and learning the kazoo. ;) :p
  19. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    The 8-year olds at our elementary school who play recorder seem to be able to grasp the concept. Why can't you?

Answer: Because you don't want to. The fact you even posted this poll means you hold out some hope the numbers will show that they're "optional."

They're not. The first step in learning how to play every other melodic instrument on the planet is learning scales. Every. Other. Instrument.

Find out what successful musicians (or golfers, or race car drivers or assassins or whatever) did to get successful, then DO THAT. In the case of musicians, I guarantee there will be a scale or two involved in the process.

[Edit to tone it down a little. Sorry Cass, but...argh. Here - I'll toss in a smiley too. :)]
  20. Wanting to be a musician and not learning scales is like saying you want to be a writer, and not learning to read. :confused: