Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did Donald Dunn every have a signature bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deadpool, Jan 21, 2002.

1. deadpool

deadpool

Aug 8, 2001
    I thought someone mentioned about one on these boards but I'm not sure. Well, did he?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think so - i think it came out at around the same time as the geddy lee jazz bass. ask over at the fdp ( www.fenderforum.com )

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Although I very well could be mistaken, I believe it was Made In Japan, in a limited run, in 1998.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, he did.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  6. ocnyup

ocnyup

Feb 21, 2006
    Duck's playing [endorsing] Laklands now, even turning up in their NEW catalog. So far as I know, both he and the fellows in Chicago are quite happy with the relationship, and the Duck models are a sweet variation on the Glaub. Worth checking out!

7. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    There was a CIJ Fender sig model that was esentialy a 57 reissue in Candy Apple red with a gold andodized pickguard. Just recently Lakland issued USA and Skyline Duck Dun models (though I havn't seen mention of the USA model on the site yet). The model is basicaly a P-bass with a J-bass neck featuring a rosewood fingerboard and block inlays and binding. The Skyline comes in Candy Apple Red with a matching headstock. The USA is probably avaible in all the color offerec by Lakland.

~Paul :)

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

It has a jazz neck? I thought Dunn was a P traditionalist of the highest order.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
  10. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Nope, his Lakland basses before the sig' also had regular Jazz (Osbourn) necks. I've also seen picks of Duck on the last BT&MG tour playing a Fender P with a 70's Jazz neck on it (the bass the Lakland Duck model is based on). He's no spring Chicken, and I'm kinda guessing he finds the jazz neck a bit easier on hos hand.

Here's a pick from Lakland's site:

[​IMG]

Description:

Duck Dunn Series
    This legendary Blues Brother scores another hit! Similar to our Glaub series body, the Duck Dunn Signature features a narrower Osborn-sized neck with fingerboard blocks. An instant classic!

~Paul :)

11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I met Duck once, what a great player!!!:hyper:

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Now this is probably the sexiest P-Bass I've ever seen. You'd even believe it tastes like candy if you lick it!

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I'm not sure about licking it and all that, but I do agree that's one of the best looking P-basses I've seen!:D

14. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone remember a boutique version that Don Grosh built in the mid 90's?? I think it was in the USA Lakland Ball park.

15. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    He's had one candy apple red with gold pg fender model based ona 57 p I believe. He had one skyline lakland model with maple board burst finish and gold pg. Now he ahs the new red lakland us and skyline model.

16. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    There was also another version of a Duck Dunn Skyline. It had a "C" neck, maple fretboard and gold guard in three tone burst. There were only 20 or so made, I own one of them and it is a great bass so far. (just got it today on a trade)

17. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    As do I - great bass bro!