Did Elvis play bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaribooBass, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    take a trip to Graceland and all your Elvis questions will be answered! Such an amazing place, has really been developed over the years into a great destination! the resort is beautiful and there are now exhibit halls filled with tons of great Elvis stuff! Totally worth the trip to Memphis.

2. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Nobody steps to the king!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Sure Elvis could play the bass. I mean, it's only four strings, how hard could it be?

4. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Stax/Volt museum is great too!!!

5. Slightly Off Topic: actually there should be (somewhere on this Planet!) also the "335 like" semi-hollow Gibson model/version of the Bass VI. Wes Montgomery used it on some track. Anyone has more info? Off Topic end! :)

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah those turn up from time to time. I saw one in person once in Nashville, a sunburst one. Cool instrument. I didn't play it though.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I believe that's the EB6 that @wazzel referred to, a few around but not cheap.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Here you are!!! :)

9. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Im pretty sure there is a YouTube of Paul McCartney, who now owns that upright bass, playing it and talking about Elvis playing it.

jmattbassplaya and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Want.

11. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Some years ago I read a book by Jerry Scheff wherein he discussed his days playing bass for Elvis. If memory serves he spoke very highly of him. It was an interesting read, as he also played with Dylan and several other artists over the years.

12. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    It's a long way for me, but one day. I really regret not going to the Beatles museum when I was in Liverpool.

Slough Feg Bass and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks, but I'm afraid it won't answer my question.
    Why did the King have to die so young.

14. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Sheff got asked in and played on The Doors L A WOMAN. They told Morrison they had Elvis' bass player coming in for the sessions, and he was thrilled. Manzarek showed him the alternating 1-4 Em/AMaj repeating figure under Riders on the Storm.

Border likes this.
  15. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Jimmy Page had this poster on his wall as a boy . . . . . well, maybe not . . . .

Bob Lo and Border like this.
  16. moreblues

moreblues Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2013
    N.Y. and FL.
    Did Elvis play bass?

Yes he did, Thank you...Thank you very much

17. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    I can still remember every detail of the moment I heard Elvis had died. That and when President Reagan was shot are permanently etched in my mind.

ElectroVibe and CaribooBass like this.
  18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    He was surrounded by Yes Men. The Colonel didn't allow real friends to be around Elvis much, because they would have been honest with him and told him to get his act together!

19. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Because just like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and unfortunately many more, everyone who was there to say NO ! ! never did . . . . as they were all on the payroll. You keep the CashCow working, no matter what, and Parker was at the head of the line.

Re: See Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb lyric sheet for a how-to.

Once again, Ladies and Gentlemen and Kids of All Ages, There's No Bidness Like Show Bidness ! ! !

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  20. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    This reminds me of Johnny Cash and his guitarist Luther Perkins. He had never played an electric guitar before and felt completely lost with the Fender, which led to him damping the strings with his hand and creating his trademark style.

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022