1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Epiphone ever make basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've never heard of one, but just thought I would ask. I don't know of a major electric guitar company that didn't make a bass.

2. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
  3. I think Skel may be referring to Epiphone back when it was making unique models, in the '60s--in which case the answer is yes. The Rivoli bass was a semi- or full-hollow, and the Embassy bass was either a semihollow or a solidbody.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    They also had solidbodies based on their SG'ish Coronet line. Don't remember the model name.

5. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I learned on an Epiphone Jazz-knockoff. The electronics were trash, but the feel was great, especially given that it was a beginner instrument. I'm sad I let it go. :(

6. I still have my late-80's jazz knockoff. I actually really like-liked the bass. It has a great neck with a nice low action and easy feel. Yeah, the electronics have become kinda trashed over the years, but spending $99 bucks on a bass that is still kicking along well after 15-years is a pretty good deal! I've since upgraded to a fretless Fender Jazz (1997 Mexican model), but for a budget instrument Epiphones are really pretty good!

7. I have two Epiphone basses - an Explorer and a Flying V. The Explorer is great - it sounds and feels good and makes a great visual image (especially for photos). The Flying V also looks great and sounds good, but it has a shorter scale neck and I haven't gotten used to it.

From what I can see, Epiphone seems to make budget versions of some Gibson basses.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I owned a solid body Epiphone bass back in the early 70s. They also made some hollow body models.

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    You know I once asked myself if Gibson even made basses. I seriously had a dream where I got a Gibson bass (I don't remember it being any specific model) and woke up asking myself "Wait, does Gibson even MAKE basses?" I then proceeded to Musician's Friend and went "Oh. Yes they do."

But yeah, Epiphone even has one of those bass start packs. Comes with an SG bass, an amp, and some accessories (and a tuner, which the Squier pack does not...).

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have an epiphone accubass. Absolute POS. It's the one I don't mind leaving at the gui****'s house. :D

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Yeah they make basses but not as many as they have of guitars, I have an Epiphone Jack Casady bass and it is one of the nicest hollow bodys designs i have seen.

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a black El Capitan 5 accoustic that is nice and meaty

it works well for bridging the gap between my fretless and electric upright, and it makes for a great practice bass

all the best,

R

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I learned on one of those, too. Yeah, the electronics were sh!#... the pickups were kinda weak, too. But it definitely nailed that j-bass feel, though a little heavier than a j-bass iirc. I don't miss mine at all.

14. mondogarage

mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I had an Epiphone EA-260 for a while...it was made in Japan in the early 70s, and basically looked like a bass version of a Gibson 335. They were sold under the Ephiphone name, but not made in Kalamazoo, and several companies sold an identical bass, under different brand names.

15. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    a flying v bass?!?! i would love one of those, to bad you live i russia or i might have to relive you of that one...

16. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I had a 1960's Epiphone Upright for a few years. Great sounding bass, wish I still had it.

17. steve21

steve21 Banned

Epiphone still sells them in america.

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    My guitar player just ended up with an EA-250 6 string guitar he let me borrow. He actually thinks it's made in Kalamazoo - I knew these were made in Japan, but I didn't know they were sold under other brand names besides Epiphone. I hope you aren't offended when I say the guitar version fits the classic phrase "it's a piece of crap made in Japan", because it truly is. Of course, "Made in Japan" now means anything *but* a piece of crap.

Skel

19. bu53ter

bu53ter

May 22, 2006
    epiphone was a german company who made there own guitars in the 30`s , gibson has been making guitars well before that in the mid 50`s epiphone were going bust and gibson moved in and bought the company then they decided to move epiphone to koriea to make cheaper versions of the gibsons this happend as the same time as fender done the same with there squire range , but squire wasn`t always the cheap range off guitars it was a squire mustang but they changed it to fender and the squire became the buget guitar range the same as epiphone

20. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:
    Do they still make the JC's? I never see them anymore?