1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did fender make a Mexican fretless P in the 90s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichardFeynman, May 12, 2011.

1. RichardFeynman

RichardFeynman

Mar 28, 2011
    I am (considering) buying a bass off of craigslist, advertised as a 1995 fretless mim precision. I did a little bit of research and I am starting to suspect that this might not exactly be what I am getting.
    I can't track down a list of what models were made when and where, but the precision wikipedia page says that they made a fretless in the mid 90s but (I think) only in the American factory.

I should add that the headstock has a Mexican serial that indeed dates to 1995. What do you think I am looking at? Is it for real? Does anyone know of a list of when and where fender made different models?

Thanks for your time and help.

2. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    I owned two MIM fretless Jazz basses, which I bought new, in the early and mid-90's, one was lined and the other unlined. I was unaware they made P-basses fretless.

3. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
  4. RichardFeynman

RichardFeynman

Mar 28, 2011
    Thats what I found too. So does this mean that I am not getting is something different? What could it be? Squier body with a Mighty Mite neck? Some other trickery?
    Does anyone have any insight as how I can tell what exactly this is?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Well, is the neck a Fender neck? Has it been de-fretted? Can't really tell anything from one aerial photo. The color looks like an early 90's LPB Mexican.

I owned a 1995-96 USA Fretless P for a short time myself.

6. RichardFeynman

RichardFeynman

Mar 28, 2011
    Yeah the guy is taking some time in getting back to me and usually only addresses one point at a time (makes me a tad nervous), and I am currently awaiting a picture of the fingerboard but I did get this of the headstock.

Attached Files:

7. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well, based on the tiny photo, if it is fretless, it's a de-fretted P-bass. The dot inlays give it away. I've never actually seen a Percision one (aside from photos of them), but no fretless Fenders have dots on the fingerboard. Of course, unlined fretboards have nothing on them at all.

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That has to be a defretted P. The lines fender uses on their fretless basses are a rather noticeable/bright white. That plus I have never seen face dots on a factory fretless fender. I'd wager it is a defret job.

9. RichardFeynman

RichardFeynman

Mar 28, 2011
    I completely didn't think about the dots. Brilliant!
    Thanks for the help

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I thought fender made the lines on fretless thinner and less noticeable? At least, that's my experience with them..

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    They are pretty noticeable IME. I've owned both MIM fretless J's as well as MIA, all lined. Never had a lined fretless MIJ fender though. The maple lines on my warmoth neck are WAY less noticeable.

12. RichardFeynman

RichardFeynman

Mar 28, 2011
    This looks defretted, right?
    If so, it still doesn't look like a hack job (I don't think). What should I expect different from this neck?
    Thanks!

IMG_09441.

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Yep, definitely defret. No Fender model has ever done anything but had a blank fretless neck or a white lined. You won't have any difference with a regular neck, if it was done properly. Have you played it? That will tell you what's up. If it feels good, it's good. If it sounds good, it's good.

14. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    Either way it looks like a clean job.

15. Blame_on

Blame_on

Dec 11, 2011
    At first sorry for my bad english, i am from russia, lol.
    I have an identical problem. I bought this base on ebay.
    Here some foto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see its a fretless p-base made in mexico mexico lake placid blue color.
    coincidence ?

16. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    the only coincidence there is that someone de-fretted your bass too.