1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did Fender P's ever come with a 1.75" nut width?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For some reason I had the idea in my head that there were 1.75" nut width P's from Fender, but as I look around it seems that was just a delusion. Any confirmation or denial?

2. Ummm...yeah that was pretty much the standard width in the late 50's - 60's. Then in the 70's it went to a B width (1.625") and then in the early 80's it went back to 1.75" standard until the early 90's I think? They are currently B width again.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The current MIM 50's reissues are 1.75, which is period correct.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes. It was the "C" neck. The overall feel of the neck was excellent; they were less thick front to back than the narrower nut widths, and a real joy to play. I speak from decades of experience with one!

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Same here, and +1. :)

The old Fender C necks are fantastic.

My 64 has the same neck as described above.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I thought so! I've been shopping around on the bay for a sweet-looking older P, and every one I've found that looked good to me has the B width, and a quick Google only turned up references to the 1.625" width, so I got confused and thought maybe the C necks were just thicker, not wider. Good to know that it's not so, and I had it right the first time.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yea, but in a vintage bass its going to cost you. The switch to B necks was late 60s wasn't it?

Lakland Glaubs and Fender USA reissues are also C necks.

8. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Actually I was recently surprised to read in "The FenderBass" book that the change to "B" neck was around 73-74.

The Lakland "C" neck seems a little easier to play. Seems to be not as wide from 5 - 9 fret.

9. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    My five US Glaubs are all factory "A" necks... ;)

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    for a contemporary bass, at a good price, with a 1.75 nut, you could do a lot worse than one of these basses.

IMHO of course. :)

11. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    I love "C" necks!!!:hyper:

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My 80s reissue '62 P basses have the 1 3/4" nut. Although, to be honest, I don't find much difference between that and my MIM P with the modern 1 5/8" nut.

And I am very sensitive to string spacing, checkout out any of my 5 string posts ;) Although, I have to admit I am getting much better.

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The newer 62 and 57 reissue P basses come with the 1.75 neck. I have a 62 and it feels good. The fullerton reissues had the 1.75 neck as well

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The funny thing is that I have recently had the epiphany that I really like narrow string spacing! And the entire reason I want a P with a C width neck is so I can convert it to a 5'er with narrow spacing. :D

It looks like I need to keep a close eye on those various reissues, they will be the best candidates for the right dimensions at a reasonable price, where it won't be sacrilege to modify heavily.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    One thing I had heard about the Fullerton reissues, and confirmed yesterday in at least one instance, is that they're shallower front-to-back than more recent Fender reissues. Another TB'er noted this when he was playing my '83 '57 RI. We were also AB'ing mine against a US Glaub with a 1.75" neck and found the shapes of the two to be virtually identical.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    G&L makes fives with a 1 3/4" nut, but the neck is much thicker than a normal P bass neck. You might want to give them a try. The tributes are very reasonably priced used.

EDIT: If it was Portland, ON rather than Portland, OR, I would say you could come over and try my G&L L2500 tribute..... what a difference one character makes.

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You're going to have trouble with A string output, aren't you? It'll go right over the edge of each half of the pickup.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Nope, I will use the Lawrence P46 which is designed to be usable in this application. :)

19. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Fender's A,B,C nomenclature refers only to the neck's width at the nut:
    A= 1.5"
    B= 1.625"
    C= 1.75"
    But this is independent from neck's front to back thickness (I can't recall what's the nomenclature in this regard).
    For instance, I have a '62 Fullerton RI which is a "C" but very very shallow front to back (not my current cup of tea, but I reserve the right to change my mind in the future :D ) whereas on the other hand the Pino model (also a "C") has a much more meaty front to back neck.
    IMHO a very shallow neck is not necessarily easier on your fretting hand, sometimes is quite the opposite. But then YMMV ;)

20. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Hmmm...interesting,US Glaub feels the same as Fullerton reissue. I never played a Fullerton. I've played a US Glaub and the current various Fender "C" neck reissues. It seemed to me that the Glaub was easier to play, if memory is correct. I'm currently trying to put together some hard numbers on string spacing measurements between the 2. I've got the US Glaub bridge string spacing and neck heel width numbers but need the "current" Fender reissue numbers.

Given the fact that I found the Pino to be the most comfortable "C" neck I've ever played I have to agree with you...a very shallow neck is not necessarily easier on your fretting hand, sometimes is quite the opposite.
    Given that ,if the US Glaub is the same as the ultra thin Fullerton C necks then I may have to think twice about getting the US Glaub "C".