1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Fender really make a signature james jamerson bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray2112, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I read somewhere that they made one, but I havnt seen any pictures to prove that they did.Does anyone know anything about this?

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, back around 90/91-ish. I remember seeing them at The Bass Centre in L.A. they were more or less a limited run of the 62RI, but had Special neck plates on them.
    And a couple of them have turned up on ebay over the years.

Attached Files:

3. That's cool, I wonder if they would ever re-release it

4. First of all, it wasn't a stock model, it was custom shop builds, and like the brochure says "limited" at the request of the Jamerson family.

Very doubtful, that they will re-release, however anything is possible.

5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    in my opinion you want a jamerson type of bass, get a mia p reissue 62, or a classic 50 p bass mim
    believe it or not, i've got a classic 50 and the tone is simply great, I only record basslines on my project with this bass!

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I think only 100 were made. I've seen one or two for sale on eBay in the last few years.
    Did they come with really old flats and super high action?

7. Martin Peterson at The Gallery in London, England had Serial No. 001 of the limited run.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It wasn't really a lot different from a stock American Vintage Series '62 P bass. It had a special neck plate, and it came with the LaBella Old Originals (now marketed as the Jamerson set). But as the real Funk Machine was stolen before Fender was involved with the family, it's not like they copied the neck of his bass. The Funk Machine was apparently a typical 1962 sunburst P bass. It was the man playing it, not the bass that made the magic happen.

9. Yeah, exactly - it was really a bog standard 60's P-Bass reissue with a special neckplate and a certificate in the case