Did Fernandes ever make a plywood/laminate p-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul Szegedin, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Maybe, who cares, if it sounds good?

100.0%
  2. They would never stoop to such base (; /) materials.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    I bought this "frankenbass" at auction cheap: it has a good, but trashed, Memphis maple neck and on the back, the neckplate says Fernandes. When I got it in the mail and opened it up, I was disappointed (not too disappointed, it was <$100) to see that it was a plywood or laminate layers body, although not heavy.

That said, it sounds awesome -- great pickups that really growl -- so I suspect that maybe the hardware and pickups are off a Fernandes. I'm a big fan of Fernandes, but can't imagine that they made a plywood bass even in their darkest hour. Thoughts?

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if they made a bass that sounds as great as you make this out to be then maybe that's where they should have kept their focus since the market never moved away from the old Fenders. Ferns are fine.
    as far as ply basses go, my current new fave is a '70s TURBO, some odd Hondo offshoot that stacks up against the better vintage Ps and weighs in on the heavier side. doesn't seem to be ultra grade ply but if it plays and sounds good then that's all that matters, except looks. plus, my TURBO is a looker with the tiger'd maple veneer top and tell-tale black fade at the arm cutaway, typically they still usually go for cheap money so let's hear it for plywood!

Paul Szegedin likes this.
  3. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    i've never owned a Fernandes bass, but i've had quite a few of their 80's shredder guitars.. they did use plywood bodies for some of those, and solid bodies for others. it really didn't make a difference, once the gain was cranked.

4. Paul Szegedin

Paul Szegedin

Dec 28, 2020
    Ah, good to know! Then maybe it really is a Fernandes. I have one of their superb strat copies -- man it is nice. That one is solid alder and I think most of their p- and j- basses are too, but yeah this one sounds great anyway. It's not pine ply anyway because it's not that heavy, and body material only matters in terms of density, doesn't matter how you get it.

Tommy V likes this.