1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Gene Simmons influence your decision to play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by etechstan, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Yes, Gene had some influence.

63 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No, (add your own comments)

177 vote(s)
    73.8%
  1. I want to end the Kiss/Gene Simmons slagging. Just a yes or no answer to whether or not Gene had any influence to you picking up the bass or anything to do with your bass playing. Yes, I started playing bass in 1975 because Kiss was the hottest thing out there and Gene Simmons was (to a 15 year old) cool.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Not in one misicule iota.

3. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    No. But I do like KISS, at least pre-make up removal.

4. No...but I guess it doesn't really count, as Kiss was hot before my time.

On second thought, I was influenced by aston barret and james jamerson so I guess it does count after all

stevie p likes this.
  5. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I was 13 when Destroyer came out.
    Kiss was the reason I wanted to be in a band and Gene was why I chose bass.

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    not at all, but i do like women...and so does gene, hmmm...maybe in some odd subconscious way that im unaware of...

devntran likes this.
  7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Not at all. I was already playing guitar well before KISS made an appearance, and they had no impact on me at all. All I knew about the band when they first came out was the look, nothing was ever said about music.

There was a younger guy in town who went to see KISS however. At that concert he decided he wanted to be a rock star. He went out and bought a bass the next week (having made the astute determination that there were already too many guitar players and drums required a big vehicle to haul). Kevin says he spent two hours in front of a mirror getting his strap set so the bass looked just exactly rock 'n' roll enough. Within a year he had a gigging band, and went on to lead several bands that actually were able to work more or less full=time. Last time I talked to him, he was writing songs, playing gigs, and making a living from music, none of which has anything to do with KISS' music now.

I filter every conversation about Simmons through that . He had the same effect on Kevin as The Beatles, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Grand Funk, Nirvana, Garth Brooks, etc. had on others. Who knows what music we may have missed if not for the people who get inspired by artists even if the original influence isn't "good" to many people.

John

8. 1979 I was 9 years old. I played trumpet, Miles Davis was my idol.
    Then my father took myself and my 12 year old brother to see the Destroyer tour at the Seattle Coliseum.
    Fast forward a year and I had my first bass and amp, raring to go. By high school I was gigging around town in a speed metal band and had switched from trumpet in jazz band at school to playing the sousaphone in the marching band (I was all of 5'7 and 120lbs at the time). Bass was it for me, I was hooked.

Funny to admit this, but yes. Gene inspired me to start playing bass guitar. It was not his playing that did so, mind you. But he inspired me in his own way.
    31 years later, I am so glad I saw that show.

9. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Yes Gene was a big influence. My brother started a band in 1980 and he recruited me to play bass. Strutter was the first song he taught me. :bassist:

10. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I come from a musical family, so I was already playing piano before I knew of KISS. I really liked the bass but was alittle bummed that most bassist seemed to hide in the back by the drums.

Gene definitely influenced the type of bass player I wanted to be. I was too young to have been under the Beatle influence and by the time KISS came out, bass players usually stayed in the background.

Gene was center stage. And he was grooving.

I also completely wore the grooves off of the first KISS Alive album. That was great rock and roll bass playing at the time. I think he was even voted best rock bassist by Playboy back then, but I could be wrong there.

KISS Alive was the album when I was a kid.

Sting is another great rock player who I appreciate bringing bass out of the shadows.

11. Nope.

My brother came home with Kiss's first album and "Kiss Alive" sometime in late 1975.We listened to them for maybe a week or two and then went right back to the Yes/Led Zep albums.

stevie p likes this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Gene did influence me to never be a Circus side show freak on stage with Japanese black and white makeup and spit blood and eat fire ... all the while the already mediocre music suffers because of the bizarre stage antics.

13. I picked up the bass because my friend Jarrod was a better drummer than I was. So no, Gene didn't influence me to start playing bass. However, I have always been impressed with his bass lines. No technical gymnastics, but they usually exhibit pop sensibility which I appreciate.

14. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Yes, both his playing and HIM. He's truly an underrated bass player. Generally, the ones who bash him seem to be:

1. Just plain ignorant
    2. Never listened to any Gene basslines, goes with number 1
    3. Not very confident within themself

If bass players like Cliff Williams and Dusty Hill are considered "good" because they hold down the bottom end very well, then Gene, by the same token, should be considered "good" or even, dare I say it "great"

And while KISS' music may have been subpar as a whole, I've always said Gene was the best musician in the band, YES, even better than Ace Frehley. Ace was nothing really special.
    :bag:

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yes.
    I was 12 when Destroyer came out and it was Kiss that put the idea in my young head that it would be cool to be in a rock band. I thought Gene was the coolest "character" in the band and because of that I came to understand what a bass guitar was and the role it played in the music. A year later I had my first bass and amp and was in a rock band playing gigs. :D

IGotGas likes this.
  16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yes, he did. Heard Rock and Roll All Night on the radio and was hooked. I didn't know they wore the costumes and make-up. Went to a record store and bought KISS Alive. Could hardly believe what they looked like. Got me a bass. My very first concert was KISS in 1977.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

When I was a Kiss freak, I barely even knew what a "bass" was (everything were "guitars" to me). But I enjoyed their music and image the most I could :). Actually, I think many of my stage moves were inspired by Ace Frehley.

IGotGas likes this.
  18. Jaguar

Jaguar

Nov 19, 2006
    USA
    YES,along with Geezer,The Ox and Jack

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I respectfully disagree. While he obviously doesn't have the chops of Satriani and Vai, he has an instantly recognizable and very personal style. When you hear any of his recordings without knowing who's the lead guitar player beforehand, you immediately know it's Ace.To me, that is worth more than being able to play a thousand notes per second.

Not trying to derail the thread. Just wanted to mention this since I really appreciate Ace as a guitar player.

IGotGas likes this.
  20. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    No. But I've listened to Kiss in the past, and I'm sure I'll hear some more before I depart this realm.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020