Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did GS-112 cut through for you???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 25, 2003.

1. I have one GS-112 and YES it cuts through with tweaking

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. I have two GS-112s and YES they cut through with tweaking

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. I have one GS-112 and I can't tweak it to cut through

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. I have two GS-112 and I can't get them to cut through

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. I use my GS-112 with another cab to help cut through

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. I don't play with a band, but I love my GS-112!!!

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Some are tired of me going on an on, but I can't help it!

my question is: Does the GS-112, by itself or a pair of them, cut through on midrange IN A BAND SITUATION???

I have a G&L SB-1 pbass, RBI, SWR 350, EA CXL-112L. I'm considering going with Aguilar GS-112 instead of EA or to compliment it.

I'm playing at church (not a quiet church!) and we play about 100db or so on stage. I'm wondering if I will be able to cut through on mids??? alot of people like gs-112 a couple say its too dark. CURRENT AND PAST OWNERS RESPOND ONLY PLEASE!

Tell me why you do or don't like the "cut through" ability of the GS-112's

please don't talk about "if you had a different amp..." or "your guitar isn't good for cutting through..." blah blah blah DON'T SPECULATE AND CRITICIZE, just tell me YOUR experience

2. Just played with 2 of them outdoors with my band today and they sounded absolutely fantastic. Awesome bottom end too.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have only played with one so far
    in my opinion they are neat for low end but require serious tweaking to cut midrange wise
    if i play mine out i usually pair it with a bag end 112 which has loads of mids
    the aggie wasnt my 1st choice for a 112 but i got it at a guitar show as part of o large and complicated trade
    personally if i was gonna get one 112 i would get an epifani or maybe a bergantino
    the aggie is one of those cabs that has a built in smiley face which sounds great in your living room but kinda gets buried live

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have not had a problem cutting through with 2 GS-112s, although I like serious bottom end. I only play fretless, so I find that I have to boost the mids a bit on my RBI preamp, but the sound is awesome. I love the huge bottom end, but I have actually found myself turning down the bass knob on my preamp, which has previously been a mortal sin for me.
    I played a pretty loud gig with a reggae band on Saturday night, and my bass was not run through the PA. I let a guy sit in and walked around the room to see how it sounded, and it was great. I only heard fingerstyle playing, however.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I love my GS 112. Huge bottom and heard everywhere.

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    At about what frequency is this "scoop" at? That's the only thing that makes me iffy on buying this cab.

7. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I can't imagine this scoop is any worse than your typical SWR cab is it?

I've heard the GS112 is better for low-mids than an SWR. . . but maybe its the upper mids that are scooped on the GS112.

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    The first time I used mine in a rehearsal situation, I found it almost a little too boomy. I played around quite a bit with the mids on my amp and now it cuts through juuuust fine. Basically, I'm in love with this thing and haven't even thought about pulling out my 410 Ampeg since I got the Aggie.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    cjgallen,

I love the tone of the GS-112 by itself. I've only auditioned it so far. I can see where people say its "dark" heavy bottom and smooth mids low treble, but I think I like that because I hate finger noise, but I need enough mids to hear myself.

it deeper than the EA CXL-112 and the midrange on the gs-112 is alot lower volume than the bass, wherre on the CXL-112 mids are fairly bright compared with its bottom. I listened to my CXL-112L again today, solo, and thought "I wish I had alot more lows!" CXL-112L is big sounding for just one 12" though, I assume the GS-112 can hold its own in moderate volume situations with P.A.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    My two pair each replaced a 410/115 stack. I don't even want to go back. You can tweak the mids to cut through and still not lose the bottom. The highs are very smooth. My F-1X is midrange boost challenged, so I augmented it with a parametric eq. Problem solved. My SVT III Pro has enough eq flexibility that it's fine all by itself. I strongly encourage you to try before buying, so at least you will know if they'll suit your purposes. I didn't follow my own advice and bought them sight unseen(!!). However, I felt the descriptions on this and other forums nailed the sound of these cabs and I found them even better (for my purposes) than I had hoped. I am sure that for others, The EA, Bergantino, Epifani, Avatar, Genz Benz, etc. may be a better match. I feel that the Aggies have a 'character' sound. If it happens to be that 'tone that's in your mind'---Pilgrim, your search has ended.

Kim

11. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I really appreciate these 1x12 threads you've been making. I've been torn between buying the EA or Aguilar 112 for a while and these really cleared a few things up for me. It sucks that nobody locally carries either of these cabs, so I have to base my decisions on reviews and others' experiences with them.

I love my low mids, and the Aguilar costs less so I'll probably order one next payday :D

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I NEVER want to underemphasize that the CXL-112L is a very good cab. especially for the double bass people because the CXL-112L is very revealing all the way through the spectrum and the bottom, although LOUD is not boomy or thunderingly low. It had me fooled at home and in my band situation UNTIL I compared it side by side with the Aguilar. Its a VERY strong cab for volume and even bass, but I didn't know what I really wanted. MORE BOTTOM!! The only thing I know is I didn't like my SWR BAss monitor 12's any more.

If I didn't just get back from the Chiropractor, serious!, I'd think about the Eden 210XST I heard the other day that my friend is selling its even deeper than the Aguilar GS-112, but I don't think the mids are probably as smooth and the tweeter might be too clanky for me.

I can get THREE GS-112 for the price of TWO CXL-112Ls. And I just might!

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, the poll is going well 8 to 2 in favor of gs-112 cutting through. Saturday 3pm I pick up my first gs-112. saturday 4:30pm band practice!!! I'll try using it alone and with my CXL-112L. we had first practice of this week and I keep oscillating back and forth about whether or not I really like the CXL-112L tonight its about 75% in favor +- 5% error :p

still some notes are hard to get definition maybe my bass, maybe the cab pointing at my calf. I'll try putting the GS-112 on top of the cxl so the tweeter is up high. or maybe put the cxl on top of the gs-112??

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have found that it sounds best turned on it's side. Tweeter above. Good luck.

15. I've found that putting one behind me and one on the oterh side of the stage helps a lot.

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I got my GS-112 today and .... I WISH I GOT TWO it sounded so nice! The midrange still needs some tweaking, but its closer to what I need than the EA CXL-112L that I have AND WILL BE SELLING! the bottom of the GS-112 is pretty deep and smooth a friend played his 5 string through it as was very impressed. He's owned EA, EDEN he says it sounds close to edens sound.

I'm not gonna bother comparing the EA anymore to my aguilar HANDS DOWN for me I like aguilar tone better! if I can afford it I just might get THREE!!!

17. Glad you found the sound you wanted (although as I mentioned in this thread I think an Eden 2X10xlt 4ohm would be a good fit).

So now that you have it, what's the answer to this thread's question? Does the single GS112 cut in your performance situation with the 200 watts you are using?

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Y-E-S-!-!-!

It is amazing the size of sound coming out of this cab. I'm trying NOT to over sell this cab too, but Its small, light, deep sound, reasonable price!

I can't wait to get my second and maybe a third!

The sound guy was suprised when I told him I was NOT plugged into the P.A.! :cool: Its not a huge room (30x60) and not the louded gig (about 100 dbc on stage) but I was only running one gs-112 and everyone E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E I talked with liked the sound from this cab better. the cab was next to the drummer and he kept :eek: :D at me when I'd hit a big E.

now I'm :)

19. Speaking of, what's the average and max wattage that you all have been giving these? I've been giving a pair of them half volume with my GK 1001RB 540W head. They already sound crazy loud and I'm paranoid of giving them more. How much can these things take?