Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did I blow a speaker or a tube or what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easy, May 6, 2005.

1. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    I'm not sure what I did, but I will describe the symptoms the best I can...

I haven't changed the settings on my head, or my bass, or anything, but something for sure sounds different. sort of less meaty, less growly... at first I thought I blew one of the speakers in my 2x10, so I unplugged the 1x15 and played just the 2x10. It didn't sound great, but it didn't necessarily sound wrong, either, then I switched cabs, and again, didn't sound great, but not wrong.

I've blown a cab before, and my problem sounds nothing like this. When I blew a cab before, I could barely hear it when I played through it, it rattled like crazy, buzzy, and very obviously blown.

But this problem, I don't know... it's just as loud as ever, but it sounds crappy. So I got to thinking... what happens when you blow or break a tube when you have a tube pre-amp and a ss power amp? do you lose all sound, or is the situation that I am describing what happens?

Here's my gear, in case that helps:

SWR 350x
    WorkingMan 2x10
    WrkingMan 1x15

Any ideas? I know I'm not describing it that well, but this has never happened to me, so I don't know what I can compare it to.

thanks for any thoughts, guys

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    maybe you have a perforated eardrum? get your ears checked.

3. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    is that supposed to be a serious reply? the rest of my band can hear a difference, too

4. Sounds like the 12AX7 preamp tube needs changing
    I put a NOS RCA BlackPlate in and it sounds really good.
    Another good tube that I rate 2nd to the RCA is a new Groove Tubes 12AX7M Mullard Copy. Really good low end that is distinct. Mids and Highs have clarity. Better than what came in my 350x.
    The RCA has slightly better low end, awesome mids, excellent clarity, smooth highs.

Best price on it is at:
    http://www.torresengineering.com/newgroovtub11.html

$19.95 plus S/H

I paid $45 for the NOS RCA

5. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    sweet, man, thanks for the info. So when a tube goes out on a pre-amp, the thing will still make sound, just crappy sound?

6. That is correct it can either loose sound totally or just put out crappy sound as it gets weak.

I can tell you from experience...don't even try the Groove Tubes 12AX7R....VERY lackluster

Let us know what you do and the results

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Have you tried a different bass and cable? Sounds to me like the battery is going dead.

8. Did I miss something?
    I did not see a post stating he has an active bass. If so then You are quite correct...batteries getting weak will most definately do this.

9. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    bass is passive, and I've tried different cables. I'll try the tubes and let you guys know

10. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    So I replaced the tube, and that seems to have been the problem, but I have another quesiton.

Now, with every pluck, slap, tap, pick, etc. of my bass, there's a strange tinkle sound. Image a light bulb that has burned out, and the sound it makes when you hold it to your ear and shake it around. That's the sound I get. And it's not just when I'm playing. If I tap the top of my head, anywhere about the general area of where my tube is, it makes the same sound. Any thoughts on that? Bad tube? Improperly installed? I don't know...

11. Sounds like the tube is Microphonic.
    With the amp on, using a pencil lightly tap on the tube. If you hear something similar, then it is the tube and you need to have them replace it.

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    how is the tube socket?

13. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    well, the tube socket looks normal, but that's only because it's the only one I've ever seen.

I put the tube in myself. Could it be an "install" issue, or is it more likely just a bad tube? And what does that mean, the tube is microphonic? Are some supposed to be that way, or is it more like, they're never supposed to be that way, but sometimes they are?

14. Tube sockets in the SWR 350x Pro head are High quality and hold the tube like pulling a wisdom tooth.

15. Microphonic means something is loose internally and causes that "tink tink" sound when vibrated.

16. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    heh, yeah, I noticed that when I was trying to pull the old one out...

thanks for the help, LTB and bill

17. easy,
    Any luck with your amp?

18. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    I went on vacation (and a very nice vacation it was) and before that I had scheduling conflicts. I won't be able to take the head to the shop until tomorrow night at the earliest. I think I will probably just return the tube I bought and get a new one, and from what it sounds like, that will fix the problem

19. I am confused. Are you taking it to the shop or getting another tube?

20. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    I'm going to just get another tube, and if the problem persists, I will take it to the shop