1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I Break My Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigWhammy, Feb 13, 2020.

1. BigWhammy

BigWhammy

Jan 13, 2020
    So, to keep a long story short basically I'm stupid and left my amp on overnight in my room. When I woke up it was kind of warm but that might just be because it's next to a heater. But anyway, I just got back from being out- the amp's been off and unplayed for about 6-7 hours now, and now when I play it just sounds like it's got a blown-out speaker. But this sound carries over to my headphones when they're plugged in. Am I screwed or is this fixable?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If the same problem exists in both the speakers and headphones, it sounds like an issue with the internal preamp. What amp is this? It helps to know in case others have had a similar experience.

shaggy45 likes this.
  3. BigWhammy

BigWhammy

Jan 13, 2020
    Yeah it was actually just the 9v low on battery lmao it's solved

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Glad to hear it was something simple. I've left a few amps on for longer than I should admit and I've never had an issue with them, be it tube or solid state.

EatS1stBassist and JRA like this.
  5. Accidentally left my 800RB on for a couple of weeks.. No problem.

6. I left my Peavey Microbass amp on for a week once... dang thing is 17 years old and still going strong!

My tube amp sounded weird at practice last night. Was really concerned the new set of tubes were dying on me as the sound was similar to the last set when they died. Checked all the cables seemed fine. Thought “I should check that speaker cable, in fact no cause although it’s old it’s like new, and it’s never the speaker cable!” 20 min later after phaffing with the signal chain I swap the cable and viola. :rollno:

7. BigWhammy

BigWhammy

Jan 13, 2020
    Yeah I was like "Really?" because it's a fender amp so it's not bad quality or anything like that. Glad it was just a really simple fix.

8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended Supporting Member

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Usually stuff like that are simple fixes. Never overlook the obvious. It could save you a lot of money and anxiety.

9. Years ago I woke up in the middle of the night and I thought a freight train was blowing its air horn in my basement. Turned out I left my amp on with my bass plugged in. Didn't hurt the amp or the cab. My GF was not amused, though.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I have PA amps in installations that have been on for decades

11. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    OP may have found a component in its way out sooner rather than later.

Room temp heat shouldn't be a problem.

Powering down may have done it.

12. BigWhammy

BigWhammy

Jan 13, 2020
    nah, was just my amps 9v got drained, I put in a new one and its fine now

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I have left my solid state power amp/tube pre amp combo powered up overnight once or twice... Still going great. :)

OP- glad you got it sorted easily.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  14. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Batt powered amp? You trolling us?

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Actually, some of the testing of a new design looks at how certain parameters age over a period of say 30 days of continuous operation.

imabuddha, Lammchop93 and Al Kraft like this.
  16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You can't kill old Peavey amps!

EatS1stBassist and Microbass like this.
  17. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I always suspect battery first. I keep spares and have them in a few cases jic.

18. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Is it better in certain situations to keep amps running all the time? I am curious about this. I haven't shut off my laptop in about three years. Have to do a restart once in a while, but it is plugged into the wall and runs 24/7.

19. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Every server in the world runs 24*7. I've seen servers that have been running continuously well in excess of ten years. @agedhorse can give you the professional viewpoint, but I suspect once you've designed something to run for hours at a time, there probably isn't much difference in designing it to run days at a time. Component wise I've always had the impression that both total time turned on and number of power cycles had an impact on lifespan, so swings and roundabouts, but again I'll bow to the pro. One thing for sure its a subject there are a lot of myths about. TL : DR - don't worry about it!

20. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Some of my outboard recording gear never ever gets shut down. Not necessary for my digital amps or computer.