1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I break my B2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunger, Apr 22, 2006.

1. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Hello,

I picked up a used 4 ohm Acme B2 Series II a couple months ago in preparation to switching to a smaller rig. . . (Thunderfunk 550). I had a Seris I B2 in 8 ohm for years prior.

Unfortunately, today, someone came by to buy my Alembic F1-X, and I had him just plug into my rig and play to test out the F1-X just to make sure the preamp was working and sounding right. He wanted to check out my home-brewed 6 string, so I said, cool. . . go ahead.

Well, unfortunately, he didn't plug it in all the way, and it popped/crackled really loudly through the rather powerful Crest LT 1000. Afterwards, the B2 can be heard very very very faintly, naisily, and crackly. Something blew inside. I'm hoping it's not the drivers. The crackling was pretty loud, but these speakers were broken in for sure. There are no cracks in the speaker faces. . . and my gut feeling is that it was loud, but not loud enough to blow it completely.

Do any of you B2 owners know what it sounds like if the light bulb/fuse blows? I'm hoping this is what happened.

Can I get a replacement bulb readily at a home center? The buyer was kind enough offer to take responsibility for all cab damages. I feel really really bad for him, and he feels bad for me, and his wallet will probably feel bad for him if it's the drivers.

-'Chung

2. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately the sound of a blown light bulb/fuse is the exact opposite of what you're describing. It sounds like a subwoofer of a home theater system alone without the other speakers.

To me it sounds like you're describing the sound of blown/fried woofers. Does it sound like an old transistor radio when you're playing? That's the sound mine made when I blew my woofers.

If it is the bulb, you can get replacement bulbs at any auto shop or even at some gas stations.

3. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Darn. . . it does sound like a transistor radio. . . this is not good. Well, I emailed Acme. . . guess I'll wait for them to confirm. If I test resistance on blown speakers, will it show up funky?

-'Chung

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :(

happened to my little B1 when i used it as a personal monitor for my electronic drum kit. poor little speaker couldnt handle the bass drum transients.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The easiest way to determine if your B2 crossover bulb is fried is to plug a CD or Ipod into your power amp and then listen to what the song sounds like. If you turn up the tweeter and midrange knobs all the way up (on the back of the speaker) and you don't hear a shift in the tone of the cabinet (vocals will be more present, and the overall mix will be less muffled), you'll know right away if the bulb is toasted.

If you're noticing the problem through the woofers as well, my guess would be that the voice coils are fried and you're gonna need to call Andy for replacements (he'll credit you some $$ for sending him the roasted ones). 30 minutes with a screwdriver and soldering iron and you'll be back in business.

Lonnybass

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it's the voice coils, it should be easy to diagnose. Remove the grill, spread your fingers evenly around the speaker cone surface and press gently. A health speaker will move on it's suspension freely. If you hear or feel any scraping or grinding, the voice coil is partially burned and the speaker will either need to be replaced or re-coned. If it's completely fried, the speaker may not even move at all.

7. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Called up Andy today and replacement drivers are on the way!