Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did I buy him the right bass? (brice V5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmans_mom, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    Xmas gift for my son. He owns a Stingray 5 with one humbucker and a Squire 4 string with 2 small pickups (p/j?) and one jazz pickup (I assume)

He's also owned warwicks, corts, ibanez, washburn,fender in the past. Unfortunately he trades alot - usually trades down! I told him I'd strangle him if he sold the SR5 :)

After reading the threads on Brice/Essex's and reviews at harmonycentral, I know this bass will be good enough for a kick around fretless. The ibanez fretless he had years ago was a POS so I'm hoping this one is better.

sorry for running off at the mouth :) Questions:

1. what kind of sound does 2 humbuckers give vs one large humbucker like the SR vs a p/j sound? He plays metal, but has many influences and likes to play slap/pop.

2. That agathis body - what kind of sustain does it have?

3) one of the knobs looks very close to the string. Is that a problem for agressive hand players?

4) Good replacement bridge and hardware source for inexpensive (but not cheap) matt black h/w replacement?

appreciate your input. Sorry for running off at the mouth :)

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Bump. Can't one of you Brice owners help this nice lady? ;)

3. The BadAss2 bridge is well known as a favourite bridge for many Fender copys and basses alike!

I'm not too sure if you can get it in black, though!

Gotoh would be another option, I'm quite sure they sell bridges in black.
    ---

If you want to get new tuners, I would suggest Schaller or Gotoh, I'm sure they sell black hardware!

---

The small pickups on his Squire are Percision pickups, a split coil. And yes, the thin pup that runs across the 4 strings is a jazz-style pick up.

---

If the bass does not come with flatwound strings, I would suggest you run and get a set of them! The flatwounds have what is a nylon "cover" around the core, this is so, so that "full-metal" strings do not rip about the fretboard!

--

I cannot help you with your other Q's since I have never even seen a Brice before, sorry! Good luck and Happy Holidays! :cool:

4. the flat wounds on my fretless are full blown metal strings, no nylon. My fretboard is holding up fine. I use GHS flats.

I didn't look at the bass, but if it's an ebony or maple fretboard, you may be able to use roundwounds with minimal wear on the board.

5. Wow. I can't help out on any details about Brice, but I do want to compliment you on your knowledge of your son's hobbies! Most parents barely have a clue what's going on in their childrens lives, but you seem to have great amount of input and interest in your sons. He should consider himself lucky, and not because of the bass you got him!

Bob

6. yes! you know quite a bit about basses, are you a musician yourself? parents like you rock!

7. I'd just like to echo the sentiments, as an 18 year old bassist, I know what it's like to deal with parents who know nothing about your instrument (or any instrument in my case). It's awsome that you not only took a step to buy you're son that instrument, but came to a message board to ask advice on it.

As for you're questions, the two pickups on the Brice I think you're talking about (the five string v2 http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$S0B2OXIAAAJADTZENUFETIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C1145365&PRID=1244645)
    are called soapbars, and will probably, with the active EQ, give a good modern, hi-fi sound. This sound is good for slapping and popping, although on a fretless (minus the metal frets) it will sound very different. The strings will be hitting the rosewood fretboard as opposed to frets.

Agathis is a cheap wood, but I had an agathis bodied Ibanez guitar (still own, haven't played in years) that sounded quite good. Im sure it will sound and sustain just fine.

The knob is close to the bridge pickup, but I severely doubt it will inhibit his playing.

As for the hardware, that is where you will probably run into a problem. It will cost probably half of what the bass cost to replace tuning machines and the bridge. If you still want to do it, look through these websites.
    http://www.allparts.com/
    http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm
    You could also try asking Rondo if they have any bridges that would fit, or know what popular replacement bridge fits that bass. Same thing with the tuning machines, ask Rondo what size route they use, as there are a couple of different ones generally used. (elephant ear sized, as on fenders, and the gotoh gb-7 size)

I probably left a few things out, so if you have any other questions please feel free to ask and someone will gladly answer. Thanks for bein a kickass musicians parent!

8. And grandparents. My grandma always asks me about my progress on the "banjo.":rolleyes:

9. Ha, yeah, thats worse. My parents atleast know what my instrument is called, even if they think that bass is "not as good as guitar," cause it plays in the background. Meh, whatever, so far they've funded most of my instruments (cept for my Amer. jazz and my head/cab) so Im thankfull as heck.

10. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    wow! thx for all the info and sweet comments. I'm glad to hear the agathis body will be ok and the pickups will give a crisp sound. That was my biggest worry. I'd love to be able to afford a Modulus, Lakeland, Fodera, SO many beautiful basses out there, but at least the Brice was affordable enough for him to extend his creativeness at a great price.

I don't think I've seen that pickup config on any of his previous basses, so it will be a different sound to play with. I'd love to be able to add a standup bass to his arsenal. Love the fretless sound.

He has an Ampeg 8x10 (?) cab and an Ampeg Tube head (svt something) so I'm sure he can tweak the sounds. I got him a wah and EQ pedal a couple years ago, so if the pickups are weak, maybe he can clean up the sound.

Also got him a SKB 3 space X rack and a Korg DTR 1000 for xmas. The Brice was an afterthought really. He had been wanting to buy a Carvin kit to go fretless, but lost his job just before he ordered. I couldn't stand the fact that a fretless slipped away like that, and I got tired of waiting for him to be able to afford one again. To talk his dad into the purchase after I already overspent on the other stuff, (us moms are great at that btw) I told him, "I'm buying it for ME so I can listen to him play fretless".

Yes I am fascinated with bass players. How you do it, jamming alone in your rooms amazes me. Thump thump batta batt batt - I love when he plays it like a drum.

his first bass was my 20 yr old washburn 12 string when he was 14. I took it down to 4 bass strings and told him, "go in your room and play around - see if you really like it and we'll buy you a real bass".

A month later he came out of his room (cave) and he could play. His dad and I were blown away. Immediately got him one of those washburn amp combos and a year later a 6 string WB (that he regrets trading now)

Bass players really DO have a gift. elec guitar players are a dime a dozen, but a gifted bass player - unreal.

Basses are beautiful instruments too. The character of the woods, finishes, neck, attention to detail. Looks like fine jewelry to me, but then I'm a hippie throwback and a completely weird mom! My 2 fav bass players are Victor Wooten (bela flec concert= blown away) and Les Claypool. Jerry was a race car driver? lol Les is wacked. love'm! Would love to buy my son that monster bass :)

though our son is no longer a teen, we are still supportive of his amazing talent and encourage him to continue to follow his passion. We've always been supportive of following your dreams -life is too short to live it for others.

sorry for rambling again! Just wanted to convey that you players are unique and have many admirers that appreciate your talent. Cool bass lines are remembered - the rest is just background noise :)

thx again for reassuring me that the Brice will be playable and worth pluggin in.

have a great holiday!

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    You are the coolest mom ever.. will you be my mom??? Please!!!!???

12. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    ps I will definitely pickup a set of flatwounds this week. Thx for the neck wood info. It is a rosewood fretboard.

13. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    lol ldiezman :) Wish I could. Growing up, I'd watch that old black and white movie 'cheaper by the dozen' and that was my dream. I'd take all of you!

tip - if you want your parents interested in what you do, make it THEIR idea. Pretend you are clueless about some technical aspect of the specs and need their 'expertise'. Dads are great for that, but moms are suckers for the beautiful craftsmanship.

Just load up the webpage of a cheap bass and a realistically affordable bass. It helps if your parents have some knowledge of electronics or music, but parents love to be needed regardless. Play a bassline from their style music, etc. let them know how versitle a bass is and how talented their child is.

putty in your hands :)

14. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I dont know very much about Brice basses (I own an SX, myself..) but I wish I had a mom like you :D Mine barely knows the difference between a bass and a guitar....

15. My mom ABSOLUTELY doesn't know the difference between a bass and a guitar, even though I've been playing almost 30 years. Of course, she's 80, and I would imagine doesn't really care. :D