1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I by-pass my crossover correctly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JOE EDO, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Ampeg SVT410hlf which I want to run full range. So I spliced into the two leads off of the crossover that go to the woofers. I then connected those splices (+ and -) to a 1/4 input connector. This sound correct?

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You spliced the leads before they went into the crossover, right?
    I would just go from one of the inputs directly to the woofers and fully disconnect the crossover from that input. Then, leave the other input as is (incase you want to use the tweeter for something).
    Personally, I don't like tweeters on my cabs but, if you decide to sell it you don't have to rewire.

3. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    I have 2 speakon inputs that are connected to the crossover that are still 100 percent functional into the crossover. The 1/4 jack input I used is spliced into the leads that go to the woofers after the crossover. Essentially, I spliced into the leads that go directly to the woofers, bypassing the crossover (i hope?)

4. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That seems like it would work.
    Is the tweeter making any sound? I wonder if the signal could go back through the crossover in reverse since it could now flow in either direction.

5. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Yep still have the tweeter controlled by the L pad which has me wondering if I bypassed correctly

6. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I was afraid that would happen.
    Without adding a switch, I think you're better off going from the 1/4" input directly to the woofers and disconnecting the crossover leads to the woofer.

7. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It's easy enough to change back if you decide to sell it.

8. JOE EDO

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Thanks for helping he out. Very much appriciated.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021