Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DId I Do My Demo Right?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jgbass, May 13, 2004.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hello,

I recently had to quickly put a personal demo together for a band opportunity before the audition.

I had 10 short clips on various songs. It started with recording a previous demo CD from a band that plays Latiny-rock styles, singing a jazz-pop ballad, and playing something bluesy and fast(4 songs). The next two songs were from a big band demo CD and it had me improvising on a bluesy song followed by a jazz ballad on upright. Then they wanted something funky so I used my 4 track and plugged in some tracks from the Jamerson CD/book and then played along (part of each song) for 3 songs of various styles/tempos. The leader was okay with me sending with on tape.

I'm just wondering if I did this right. How high tech are demos supposed to be? Should I get one of my MIDI knowledgeable friends to redo this better? The format of the band is comprised of various styles of music. My own criticisms are that I did not have anything real recent on the demo and I don't think the balance on the funk tracks was very good -- too much bass. Thanks for any opinions.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds right to me....

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You are not demoing your ability to be a sound engineer, you are demoing your ability to play bass. If you throw a couple of things down on a tape that should be ok. Most people have a tape player. The sound could be bad on some parts, and the volume of each part could be different, but they will be listening for your playing. It sounds to me like it is basically a pass/fail opportunity to play for/with them live. If you have the chops, you will get that opportunity.

Too much bass? Is that possible? :D

Tim99.

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Good point, I'm not demoing my ability to be a sound engineer, I'm demoing my ability to play bass. Just good to get some good perspectives on this. Too much bass....just means the bass was overriding the funk tracks. Could have been mixed better.