1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I get a decent deal on this Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Hey, just curious to know what you guys think of this Spector pre-Rebop (NS-5CR). I believe it's a '98-99, 5 string natural finish with Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. However, the EMG's were replaced with Seymour Duncan Basslines. The overall condition is very good, except for a couple of little dings and a wear spot near the base of the neck on the G string side (nothing I can't sand down and put a little oil on to refinish). The neck has little to no fret wear and just needs a decent set up. I like the overall sound of the bass. I got it off of ebay for $431 with a hardshell case. You think this was a good deal? Thanks for your opinions. Attached is a pic.

2. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    Yes, basslines are a great pickup, will have a different sound then the EMGs, did the EMGs get included? But think about it, the Aggie is about $100 upgrade, plus you got a nice bass. I think it was a good deal, does it play good?

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    No, the EMG's didn't get included. Other than a set up the bass plays and sounds nice. I also have an extra Tonepump preamp at home that I might experiment with and do a little A/B testing to see what sounds better. I like it.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The aggie preamp makes that a good deal to me, spectors with them sound sweet.

5. A Czech Spector for $431? I'd say you did really well.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a bolt on, but im sure you know that.

7. What's that supposed to mean?

Korean Spectors sell in the 300's--this one is made in the CR and comes with a case. I'd buy one for $431 if I had the chance.