Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I get a decent deal on this Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Hey, just curious to know what you guys think of this Spector pre-Rebop (NS-5CR). I believe it's a '98-99, 5 string natural finish with Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. However, the EMG's were replaced with Seymour Duncan Basslines. The overall condition is very good, except for a couple of little dings and a wear spot near the base of the neck on the G string side (nothing I can't sand down and put a little oil on to refinish). The neck has little to no fret wear and just needs a decent set up. I like the overall sound of the bass. I got it off of ebay for $431 with a hardshell case. You think this was a good deal? Thanks for your opinions. Attached is a pic.

2. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    Yes, basslines are a great pickup, will have a different sound then the EMGs, did the EMGs get included? But think about it, the Aggie is about $100 upgrade, plus you got a nice bass. I think it was a good deal, does it play good?

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    No, the EMG's didn't get included. Other than a set up the bass plays and sounds nice. I also have an extra Tonepump preamp at home that I might experiment with and do a little A/B testing to see what sounds better. I like it.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The aggie preamp makes that a good deal to me, spectors with them sound sweet.

5. A Czech Spector for $431? I'd say you did really well.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a bolt on, but im sure you know that.

7. What's that supposed to mean?

Korean Spectors sell in the 300's--this one is made in the CR and comes with a case. I'd buy one for $431 if I had the chance.