Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I get a good deal or what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 16, 2004.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Peavy Nitrobass head and Peavy 2x10 cab, brand new $450

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've seen that head new at Musician's Friend for $439.00
    So I would say, $450.00 for both sounds excellent.

How do you like the sound of that setup? Let us know!

:hyper:

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The amps eq section appears very simple when you look at it.......contour, Low,Mid, mid shift, and high knobs, But it is very sensitive. I din't find the contour knob very functional but the mid shift knob allows for so many possible sounds....In short, the eq on this amp is not The Best I've seen, but it is suprisingly simple and versitle. The amp does color your tone a bit but with the eq you can get just about any sound you want. There is also a gain knob that allows you to dial in some growl. The cooling fan is a bit loud for recording but for giging it isn't noticable over a regular conversation. The power of this amp is very impressive, 450 watts at 2 ohms, 300 watts at 4 ohms, and 170 watts at 8 ohms. The amps constuction seems to be very sturdy, the layout of the amps controls are easy to use, there is a di feed on the front panel with a di level control and a pre/post eq selector, footswitch input, send and return jacks, a tuner jack and a pre and power amp jack. The back panel has a power switch, ground polarity switch and 2 speaker out jacks (no speakon jack( there are also power chord retainers to wind up your power chord.
    The cons of this amp are......slightly noisy cooling fan, and the amp itself is large, but not too heavy.
    Great amp if you need versatility and headroom but don't want to spend a lot this is a great amp.....I wanted 300 or more watts and was considering a Behringer. This amp is stable at 2 ohms and puts out 150 more watts than the behringer and I only paid $297 for it. Roughly $100 dollars more for 150 more watts and a MADE IN THE USA amp. Anyone looking for an amp in the 200-500 watt range for giging should play through one of these and give it a try.
    I just looked at musicians friend....this is the same amp as the Peavy max 450. I think the Max replaced the nitro, but the only differences are cosmetic