1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Harpe, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Harpe

Big Harpe

Dec 29, 2017
    Hi there. This is my first post at Talkbass; thanks in advance for your input.

I have a Hartke 2000 combo with one 15" speaker. I've been using an old Hartke Transporter with (4) 10" speakers as an addon, but the Transporter was starting to buzz and I wanted to upgrade. I was browsing in a music store and found a used 300 Watt Mesa Traditional bass cabinet with a sticker price of $699. The guy at the store told me it had (2) 10" speakers, which would have been a perfect complement to the one 15" in the combo. I eventually paid $600 for the cabinet.

I got home and just found that the model has (1) 15" speakers and a horn, no 10" speakers. Also, the wheels and cabinet cover are missing. I didn't notice this until I looked up the amp when I got home. Do you think I got a fair deal or should I bring it back? I could have ordered a new cab online for about $800. That's only $200 savings and who knows where this cabinet has been. My first thought is to call him tomorrow, tell him what happened and at least request the wheel casters and covers. If it is, in fact worth the $600, I won't make a big deal over it since he is a decent guy, but I also don't like the feeling in my stomach that I may have made a mistake due to haste... Thoughts?

FenderB and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    it was misrepresented
    return it

dbsfgyd1, lfmn16, Aqualung60 and 9 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You didn't make a mistake. The guy conned you. He's decent in presentation only. IMO, too much for a used cab. I suggest checking in with TB before you buy.

Does your receipt state 2x10?

4. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Hate to agree w/ everyone else, but I do, I think you should return it.
    It’s a bummer when you get excited about a “new” piece of gear and it’s not what you wanted. Easy to talk yourself into settling, but in long run you’ll be better off getting what you want.
    Not only was it misrepresented, but I too think it was too much to pay for a used cab, especially if it’s missing parts.
    I think you’re better off getting what you really wanted, or if you find you really like this cab, drop the extra $200 and just get it new. Easy to say, I know $200 isn’t pocket change, but either way there are better deals out there.

Good luck!!

Big Harpe likes this.
  5. Big Harpe

Big Harpe

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks, guys. I'll get the money back. I have the receipt is in hand and it does say 2-10". I believe he made an honest mistake.
    Thanks again!

Two-Spirit, RobTheRiot and murphy like this.
  6. Big Harpe

Big Harpe

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. The more the merrier. I'm going to bring it back tomorrow and see what he can do. If he doesn't come down in price, I'll return it and get something else, possibly elsewhere as well.
    Thanks again.

murphy and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. two 15" sounds like a better matchup, but $600 is too much for a used Traditional, when they sell new for $800

8. Big Harpe

Big Harpe

Dec 29, 2017
    You're right, sounds great 2 x 15". The only problem is that sick feeling in my stomach, It's similar to when you make a mistake cutting the last piece of wood and it turns out being too short). When I saw the $800 brand new price online it got worse...

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    You can buy a Mesa Subway 1x15 for under $800

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Oh. Googled Mesa "traditional" and it's apparently synonymous with powerhouse. Marketing, marketing, where would we be without it? I see the Subway 15" price pretty much standard everywhere for $899.

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    :D:laugh::D

Bill Whitehurst and murphy like this.
  12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    .....used. Watch the classifieds here, there's one on Reverb right now. EBay.

You can also negotiate with your local salesman (12% off of 899 puts you under 800)

13. Well I hope it all works out for you.
    The take-a-way is... Do your research.
    Good Luck and welcome to TB.

ps A better compliment to a 15 is another 15.

CosmicRay and Mr.Ace like this.
  14. Big Harpe

Big Harpe

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks, all. I'm going to put the situation in his hands. If he wants a return, OK. If he wants to hand a few bucks over, OK. If he gives me something from the store that's about $200 in value, OK. I do need a new DI Box and a few sets of strings. Next time, I'll come here first,

murphy likes this.
  15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I thought pricing was controlled by Mesa and non-negotiable on new gear. Or has that changed?

murphy and Mr.Ace like this.
  16. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I agree....2x15 will likely sound better. If you DO like the sound, see if you can get him to refund you a couple of hundred for your time and trouble to make it a more reasonable $400. Afterall, you have documentation that it was misrepresented.....and it's missing parts. You can do better.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea of a music store that sells a 1x15” cab as a 2x10”. Id have to hear the rig to decide what I’d do, but everybody overpays for a piece of gear now and then, so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t wind up totally satisfied. IMO, the odds of walking out with an additional $200 worth of gear are approximately zero.

18. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    As far as I know it’s non negotiable, but in the past I’ve been able to get Mesa gear at a discount if they sell it as a floor model.

19. I disagree... the speakers are likely different and the cabinet enclosure (dimensions and port) also likely different... so how well they match is a gamble, just like it would be with a 210 or anything else really. Having the same size speaker doesn't tell you anything at all about the sound.

Lo-E, joker820 and bolophonic like this.
  20. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    That is what we are being taught

Gearhead17 and joker820 like this.