1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rota, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    So last night I was practicing with my band for our show this Friday, and suddenly I stop getting sound from my Avatar B212. We called it a night and I took it apart to realize I blew the crossover. **** happens I guess, but I needed a rig for Friday, so I stopped by the local bass shop to check out their stock.

I played a Kustom 2x15, an Ashdown 410, and then Ashdown 410 and 1x15 together, which sounded nice.

I see the guys wheeling something out from the back and they stop it by me. I ask them what it is, and they promptly respond "Your new cab".

It's an Aguilar GS410, slightly used, with a little carpet wear, but almost no play time on it. I plug it in and it just sounds amazing. I know this is the one, so I ask for a price: $430 out the door.

Needless to say, I bought it immediately. I love used gear!

2. me too - I've recently discovered the beauty of buying used. Congrats!

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That's a great price, especially considering it was bought at a store.

Marshall

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've only had the pleasure of doing one gig, several years ago, with a GS410. It's still one of my favorite cabs I've ever played.

5. In terms of just the sound of the 2 cabs and not the quality, which cab sounded the best to you, the Avatar or the Aguilar?

6. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    The Avatar sounded really bad honestly and needed a bunch of EQ to sound alright while the Aguilar sounds awesome with a totally flat EQ.

7. Well then I'd say you done good boy. Big congrats on a killer deal. If you see anything else like that hollar my way.

8. Hey way to go! I hope that used Aguilar cab will be a real asset with a long, trouble-free life. Gonna get that blown crossover replaced? You can probably just rebuild it yourself... providing your 'hands on' is good as well as your soldering skills. Enjoy that new cab !!!

9. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I just got back from practice and I'm flat out amazed at how efficient this cabinet is. I used to be running my Master at 3 o'clock just to be somewhat heard and now I can run it at 9 o'clock and cut through without even trying whatsoever.

Aguilar for the win!

I called Dave at Avatar and he's sending me a new crossover, so I'll fix the Avatar cab and keep it either as a backup or throw it under the Aguilar if I need a bit more boomy low end.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Excellent deal. Congrats. Great cab, too.