1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Sep 24, 2010.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I found a used American G&L L-2000 in my local guitar store and really liked it. I went back several times to confirm I wanted it. It was tagged at $998.99 (?). Everything works on it and the neck is awesome. I've never owned a G&L or an active bass before but have read great things about them. I got it for $650 w/HSC and a free set of Rotosound ($30) strings for my trade in. Either way, I'm pretty happy with this bass but was curious if I really got a good deal.

2. Skunk11

Skunk11

Sep 9, 2009
    San Antonio
    What did you trade in?

3. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    If its a US then you did if a tribute kinda average.. Either way if you liked it there's nothing to worry about even you overpaid..

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd say the free strings made it a good deal.

5. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I traded my '99 Mex Fender Jazz that I modded with Bad Ass bridge and Bass lines p/u

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $650 and a MIM Jazz with $200 in aftermarket parts for a used L-2000 w/c and a set of strings?? I don't want to spoil things for you, but that's not a good deal. You'd have been much better off selling the bass yourself and then negotiating with cash for the G&L.

7. Any factory upgrades on the L-2000?

8. Got hosed a little

9. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I might take it back.. It wasn't really a good deal even with the new sets of strings..

10. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I would say it was an average trade in deal for GC. You always get more for gear if you sell it yourself, but then you have to mess with selling it yourself. Did you get the 10% discount for trading towards the G&L? If not, I would go back and ask for it.

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Doesn't sound like a great deal but enjoy the L-2000 if it makes playing bass better than with your old jazz.

As mentioned in numerous prior posts, trading in gear, is generally not a good idea. Sell it yourself or if you don't want the hassle, consign it.

Bones