Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did i get a lemon pack?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I bought a pair of Rotosound Swing Bass 66 strings from GC about a week ago. When I put them on, there was some kind of powder from them that made my sinuses go.. weird. My eyes got kinda irritated. I did have a little cold at the time, but that went away. now, When i play the strings, they give my hands the after feeling of them being dry and sticky. Is this caused by some kind of coating of the Strings? I plan to give them a 30 minutes dip in the alcohol later tonight.

2. Could be just the way they are. I bought a pack of D'addario flats and there were coated with this AWFUL metallic dust. Even after cleaning for about 20 minutes, they were still dusty. Had a messy returned product experience, got a replacement set of flats from D'addario about a month later...and they were still covered in that grimy crap.

3. Strange experience. I've never had this happen to me before.

I have gotten dead strings out of the package but, never coated with metal flakes.:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Strings seem to come with all kinds of supprises, a buddy of mine had that powder problem, dont know what he did about it or the brand. Personaly Ive bought 3 packs of DR high beams, and two packs had a dead string in them and 1 pack had a string that rattled. DR said they were going to send me some replacements, but its been quite some time and still havent gotten anything. Apparently its not limited to bass strings either, my friends dad had 2 dead packs of DR guitar strings... I wonder how common all of this is.

5. well, I dipped them in alcohol, seemed to do the trick.

6. No more grease?

The dead string(s) is a very common problem.

I have switched to purchasing Thomastik strings and have yet to get a dead string from any package.

I use this brand on almost all my instruments, now!

[​IMG]
    Treena