Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I get it wrong??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JayJay, Dec 2, 2003.

1. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    I have a 2 basses, one running 18V and the other at 9V. All these while, my perception of 18V is that it will be louder (in terms of volume) then the 9V.
    But this is not apparently so when I A/B the 2 basses and found that the volume output is almost the same, in fact with the 9V sounding just a bit louder than the 18V. To make it more real, the 2 basses happen to be running Bartolini NTMB and having Barts pickups(A-Lakland 55-94 config, B-2 Barts J coils).
    Is there something wrong with the 18V circuitry or 18V does not equal to increase in volume output.

Help me to get this right. :)

J

2. What are you running them through when you A/B them?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    18V only increases headroom, not volume. In other words the preamp will not break up as easiliy with the settings maxed and large transient swings will be cleaner. Like when you slap the E string agressively.

That said, gain can be set on all Bartolini pre's, I believe. There is a small trim pot for output level adjustments. Try adjusting this if you want both basses to have the same volume output.

4. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Treena, I'm running the basses through the same head and cabinet. I kept the onboard EQs flat and blend knob at center for both basses. I max the vol. knob for both basses for the A/Bing.

Thanks Carey for clearing this misconception I have for years!! For me I always thought 18V would mean louder and hotter output as compared to 9V, which apparently is not so after your clarification :)

Some dealers/sales personnel were still telling me not to crank an 18V bass up too much cause the output is very HOT!! and may cause damage to the rig. Well, I hope they will get this right.