Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I get my arse kicked?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by NJL, Oct 6, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Have you guys ever had someone sit in and just completely messes up a tune, but kicked ass on a solo (ala Wooten/Sheehan)? This happened last night to me and it kinda sucks. The kid couldn't carry the tune worth a crap (bad time, missed changes by a bar, sometimes completely missing the changes altogether), but his solo was great (in addition to the cutting session between him and geetar player). In fact his solo was so great, the crowd went nuts.

Did I get my arse kicked? Yeah.

I'm just not sure why I feel this way or if I should feel even worse cause I got my ass kicked by someone who can't even play a tune with 3 chord changes???

Has any of this ever happened to you? I have to admit, i'm a little bummed out, should I be bummed out? ***?

2. keno

keno

Aug 6, 2005
    Solos are just icing on the cake, and apparently he doesn't even have a cake. Seriously, I think people see a solo as some kind of musical skill because it's a lot of notes played fast. Laying down a groove is the important part and it sounding good. The whole picture looks a lot better than just 1/4 of it.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Don't waste your time "worrying" about how other players get received.

Something that happened last night comes to mind.

I go to some jams around town because I flat-out ENJOY not knowing what I will be playing. That forces my ear and listening skills to wake up. I usually go alone and don't ask people ahead of time what we are going to jam out. I usually get complemented on playing just fine that way.

There is this fellow who is very polished on bass who goes to a certain jam I do. However, I almost always see him playing the same tunes with the same people. That doesn't tell me how good his ear is or how he adapts when he is outside his comfort zone. Yeah technically I think he is great but he gives me no clue of other parts of "musicianship".

Sorry this is long but the point is where one may shine there are other areas where they aren't so shiny.

DCat

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Both are very good points...

:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is something I've noticed as a "common theme" on TB over the many years I've been here!! ;)

So the older more experienced guys will lament over young'uns coming along her and asking - "how can I impress so and so ?, how can I play faster etc. etc."

It's like "Music Store Chops" - young kids who go along to shops and slap hell out of basses or play some bit of tune they've picked up to impress others...

It's making music a competitive sport - when really a lot of us got into music, precisely to avoid this kind of thing and just want to have fun, learn a bit and make some good music.

The other part of the equation is these "tyros" coming along and posting clips they've recorded which don't have good time or a solid groove,as they are concentrating too much on being flashy and not on the basics!!

It's the way of the world! ;)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bruce, I take back any and all bad posts towards you.

:D

Yeah, I agree totally with what you said. He is only 19 years old. Maybe in a few years, he'll notice why he's not getting the calls for gigs.

:)

7. I think thats a phase everyone goes through, they hear the bass giants and want to be like them, practice playing solo lines as fast as they can, by themselves, meter/groove are secondary. later on they realize groove is more important, good time is more impressive than a flashy rash of notes.

Its like skiing down a mountain. You THINK you can ski, turn where you want. Then try skiing through gates. Big difference once you put actual stationary obstacles to ski around to show you where you actually are turning. Playing with a band vs alone does the same thing. Once there are landmarks (beats) you find out how much control you REALLY have over what you're doing. Everyone remembers their first "Gig" with a metronome. Ugh!

Randy

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The dreaded "GCwankeritis" He sits at home and practices that solo over and over but never "plays bass" with anyone.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I can see my fellow "experienced" TB'ers responded to this thread..

Are there any TB wankers out there that would care to respond? You guys know who you are! :spit: :D

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    No wanker here i never play leads only keep the bottom and stay happy :) We have a young kid who joined our band (classic Rock) Yea hes learning the songs most are twice his age old and this kid can shred a GC wanker type but he has trouble with the chord progressions and slower solos.He will get since the kid is sharp and a good player but his wanking is hurting him by taking up too much of his practice time and not enough good solid playing. Alot of guys wank at GC but would have trouble with a 4 chord progression with a bridge in it.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    NJL, why do you care about wankin? If you did, you wouldn't be playing bass......you'd still be blowin your horn all the time.

I'm sure you can out-wank most on the trumpet. If you're concerned about your wankability, just bring your horn. But, I would guess that if you did that and out-wanked the kid you'd feel kinda embarrassed about your attitude.

I've done the wankin thing at a show and there were times when I was just embarassed afterwards - even when the solo was good. The shame was in not keeping to the groove, turning a song into an ego trip, forgetting about my fellow bandmates, etc. The shame was that I knew better and I still did something musically stupid. On the flipside, there were times when I just had too much fun wankin away but those become fewer and fewer as the years pass.

There's a reason why you took up bass.......to overcome your d!ck trumpet player attitude through the humble bassist zen karma. Grasshopper, in your quest for living the ying and yang of music, remember why you chose the bass and don't let the competitive trumpet player spirit overcome your enlightened groove.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :spit:

Never was a wanker on trumpet, just a bad ass. :D ;)

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but I think you're somewhat right....it's hard to get rid of the whole "Brasshole" attitude, even as a bassist.

:/

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Spoken like a true brasshole

15. Hey, I used to be a trumpet player too. We're not naturally competitive all the time.

I could hit a high G above the high C 2 ledger lines above the staff! How high could you go??

Randy

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    A 5th above that. Looks like I have you beat.

:D

17. baritones

baritones

Oct 5, 2005
    Solos are crowd pleasers but who really cares about bass solos? A bass player who can't groove or lock with the drummer or even with the song itself, is useless. Ive had guys want to sit in just cuz they think they can "kick my ass". It means nothing. These players are juvenile and are playing music for the wrong reasons if they think showing someone up at a jam is cool. That guy'll never be in a serious band until he learns to player as a member of a group. He's one of those "bedroom allstars" who plays alone but hasnt learned to be part of a team. Anyone can learn to solo alone.

18. I wish I could solo.

...all I can do is lay down a groove.

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    i solo occasionally and sometimes I like to pull a sheehan and do call and response licks with my guitarist. Granted, I can't get the bends out like he can but its generally impressive sounding. I can hold down a groove just as well as any one I know. Who says guitarists should get the glory all the time?

20. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    no , you got " noobed "