1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I get older or did my amp get heavier?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pappabass, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Face it guys, we all reel in the years and our old amps are getting heavier! The downfall of being a bass player is big amps. Guitarists seem to get by with a 30 watt amp while we have the big combos or head/cabinets to move around. I currently play at a very small venue. After a back injury several years back, I decided since I play at such a small place, my heavy combos had to go. So this week I went the route of the TC electronics head and using my SWR 12" cabinet or my SWR 15" cabinet. The 12" weighs 30lbs & the 15" weighs about 45lbs. It will be nice to have a lighter load to carry. All fits in the back seat of my small car. We have a small outdoor gig this weekend, it will be my 1st time to try it out. I will let you guys know how it sounded.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Should sound fine but those are heavy by today's standards. My 15's weigh 25 lbs. I had a 2x12 cab that could overpower most small club PA's that weighed 34 lbs.

Mvilmany, Giffro, chris_b and 3 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    32 pound top combo and 30 pound ext cab. Both really compact. Get a Magnacart and wheel that sucker in. A 2-15 stack at 60 pounds for the whole deal.

MB15 Micro Bass Amp 15 Inch
    115MBE Micro Bass Extension Cabinet

My Epifani UL410 weighs less than your 1-15 cab and it kicks like a mule. There are much lighter options out there these days.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

For many years I played a huge, heavy 2x15 Cab and head, schlepping it in a van or wagon from gig to gig. Fortunately I put wheels on it! When I started playing again after a long hiatus, I found the MarkBass 121P combo - 32 lbs, 500W into 4 ohms and it has become the one item I would immediately replace if lost or stolen, and is good for any indoor gig. Then I found the Schroeder 1212L cab with 2 neo 12s only a little larger and heavier than the combo. So for outdoors, I have 3 x 12s with 500W, and I can carry amp, speaker and bass by myself all in one trip and it all fits in the trunk of my car!

Oh - How the times have changed, and I am glad of it because I KNOW gravity has gotten stronger as I
    have gotten older.

Mini-Stack.

5. You are right on lighter stuff!! I may later swap out the 15 for a lighter one someday. I looked at a Peavey 4x10 that weighed 103 pounds!! The 45lb SWR doesn't sound too bad compared to that !

Giffro likes this.
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I think I'd mentioned in another thread about having been in GC and seen an Orange head that reminded me of the Orange Matamp I had in the 80s. For old time's sake I thought I'd give it a cheeky heft to see what I've been missing.
    Strength is apparently what I've been missing. It barely budged. Dammit!

I'm seriously considering a fEARful 12/6 for the future (if I ever get back into gigging). I'll will my heavy stuff to my son who has just taken up the bass.
    A 12/6 would save my back, and be plenty loud. Worth the expense...

Last band I had a 4U rack with a 4x10. I think my 4x10 days are over. The rack's okay as it's just a Carvin DCM1000 and an RPM.

Oddly and pappabass like this.
  7. Nice setup. I hear good things about the Markbass stuff. Love the bass too ! I am one of these multi hobby guys and have to divide funds between stuff. Already had the SWR cabinet, just needed to keep it in the family!

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That 115MBE is only thirty.

pappabass likes this.
  9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    I bet lifting that little TC head with one hand on top of your stack sure does feel nice. ;)

Edit: BTW, where are the pics of your gear? You know how we here on TB love pics.

pappabass likes this.
  10. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I went from this:
    mdogkrig.
    to this:

20170323_200636.

SJan3, azwipe, baileyboy and 8 others like this.
  11. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Very nice! I like both rigs.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    "Did I get older or did my amp get heavier?"

... yes

... and yes ;)

SJan3, Morrighan, pappabass and 4 others like this.
  13. Negro_Negus

Negro_Negus

Dec 29, 2011
    Lansing, MI
    King of Kings
    It's not just my gear that is getting older and heavier

mikewalker, Basspikr, SJan3 and 21 others like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I once owned a Sound City 200 Plus head. Got it for what seemed like a very reasonable price. Pleased as punch when I picked it up and realized how much iron I'd bought for that price. By the time I got to the car, though, I knew why they had sold it. My band mates would give me crap when I had to stop and change arms all the time while carrying it. If I still had it, and tried to pick it up today, I'd likely dislocate...several things in the attempt.

pappabass and Ductapeman like this.
  15. I went light weight a while back.
    Anytime I am even tempted to think I might
    still be moving too much I look over at the PV 215 cab
    parked next to my Acoustic 361.
    Problem solved!

pappabass and WillieB like this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think we're all in the same place:)

I've an Ampeg BXT115 cab in storage. 105lbs! (and that's without the flight case!)
    I'm now using a MarkBass 115 combo (36lbs), with an extra cab (45lbs) if really needed.
    There's certainly lighter stuff than this, but it'll do me.
    I'm all for technology advancements.

SJan3, Giffro and pappabass like this.
  17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

In a much younger time we would bench press Bassman and Portaflex cabinets. I drew the line with a B25B cab. Moving VOT's and such was common place.

pappabass likes this.
  18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Cabs 30 lbs each, amp 7 lbs
    20170213_155008.

SJan3, mikewalker, Lvjoebass and 2 others like this.
  19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I use a couple Schroeder 110L. 21 lbs each. Played with a loud drummer and guitarist using a fender 210 tube amp. Other bands used a 410 on top of a 115. They complained we were too loud and I was too high in the mix.

alaskaleftybass, pappabass and Oddly like this.
  20. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Musicians nowadays are wimps. Back in the day, I was a keyboard player and I hauled a 400 lb Hammond and 2 x 90 lb Leslies. Oh - I forgot - I also had a 76 lb EV Eliminator 1 for my synths.

Back in the day, serious bass players used a couple of Acoustic 18 inch bottoms or a couple of triple 15 Kustoms. This was before the SVT was invented.