Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I get robbed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Two days ago I sold my Warwick Streamer LX5 to a local cat for $800 even (I kept the gigbag). Regardless that I kept the gigbag, I still think I probably let myself get robbed. What do you all think? The thing was MINT...bought it brand new and it'll only be a year old once April comes. I originally was asking $1,200. I included both TI flats and DR lowriders in the deal, along with gold schaller straplocks, polishing wax/cloth, and the allen wrenches that came with the bass. I really hope I didn't let it go for too little but I think I def did and mom is mad at me for taking so little for it saying I made a "bad financial decision" :bawl:

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    That is right at about the right price. A good deal, but not anything to scowl over.

~Patrick

3. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I'd say that due to the fact you sold it to a local store, they gave you a very fair price. In fact, they probably gave to more than most stores would have. They will have their mark-up, obviously, which a business has to do to stay in business. It allows them to pay for their mortgage, taxes, payrolls, insurances, etc.

You did good, in my opinion.

4. They seem to be selling on Ebay for that range. So, you did good.

5. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I didnt sell it to a local store. I sold it to a local player in the area. I had been dealing with him for the past 2 weeks or so working on price, and he came out and told me $800 was his max since he was already in trouble with his wife, so I decided to go ahead and take the offer. I was unsure if I would have gotten more going the ebay or consignment route instead. It just sucks that I lost exactly 50% of what I paid for the bass when it was only approaching a year old and was in absolute mint condition. Only sign that it was a used instrument was the fact that I changed the graphite nut to the old brass one instead. Oh well, lesson learned...no more selling basses! Must...keep...buying.......must...fight.....GAS!!! :D :bassist:

6. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Why did you sell it so quick?

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    not bad, but not great...

8. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I had to get rid of it relatively quickly because my car needs a new exhaust or it wont pass inspection (and it is due for one quite soon). Also he was the only guy around here who was even interested. Not many college kids have that kind of cash laying around to blow on a bass, so figured this guy who was in his 50s or so was my best shot. Seems general concensus is I didn't do too bad, but prob could have done a bit better. I'll just have to live with that...sucks taking a $700-$800 loss though on a bass I only bought last April. We all learn from our mistakes :bawl:

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

That kind of depreciation seems to be the normal range for a Warwick. Some basses depreciate less. It depends on what kind of deal you got to begin with and what the demand for the bass is. That is why I usually buy a used instrument (or car) - let some other sucker take the depreciation from new!

Dan K.

10. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Some of the higher end Warwicks seem to hold their value better I've noticed. It's just that I see Corvettes go for $800 and I paid about $400 more for this bass than I would have for a Corvette which is why I was concerned. I agree that some basses certainly hold their value better than others. Stingrays, for example, seem to hold their value extremely well. Alembics, on the other hand, seem to sell for a 50% to 60% loss from what I've seen. I would have preferred to get about a grand...then I would have taken only a 33% loss, but oh well. What is done is done :scowl:

11. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Buying used is the only way to go for me. Instruments are worth half of what they sold for new the instant they walk out the door of the store. They become instantly used. If you buy used next time, you'll be the guy getting the killer deal. Now, see if you can get some cash for the case. That may help your money situation.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Seems like a bad deal to me, but I don't really know that much about the prices on used Warwick. Better nut (the old brass one WAS better), TI's, DR LoRiders, etc. included in the deal? IMO, maybe if it was just the bass and it was more noticeably "used," then you would've done fine but when you factor in that it's clearly not only been very well taken care of, but you're including extra goodies, $800 seems fairly low to me.

13. From the stories I've read here at TB for the past few years, it doesn't matter how much the seller spent for his/her new bass, but rather how much the buyer wants to give you when you're ready to sell.

You might have gotten more if you had waited, but how long would you have been willing to wait?

Sometimes it can take months to get the price a seller wants; come down a bit and it gets sold.

I'd say you did OK.

Mike

14. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I think the real mistake was in buying that much of a bass in the first place, when you had other potential financial costs.
    Ebay is glutted with really nice basses in about the condition you describe for 45% to 55% of their original cost.
    I'll bet as much as you liked that bass, you could have spent 50% less, on a less expensive bass, and received 95% of the enjoyment of it. And guess what,... you'd still have it.
    So if there is a lesson here, its don't put yourself in a position to have to take a loss you don't want to.

Sorry to sound like a pompus a*s, but its easier to talk about a mistake when you have made them yourself.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The law of deminished returns.
    Any bass on average, that costs between $1200 -$1500.
    your going to lose around $400. when you sell.
    It's the nature of the game.

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    +1

If you think you might have to sell, then don't buy new. Buy used and you can get your money back. That is one of the nice things about basses. I've done really well on the used basses that I have purchased. I have always sold them for a hair more than I bought them at.