Did I get Shafted in the '60s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Back in the mid 60's, I was getting into bass and purchased a used Fender (blonde) Bassman 6G6 head with, as I recall, a matching 2 x 10" cabinet. I know that was the head but, as I recall, the cabinet had an open back. It sounded great at practice volumes but, when played with my garage band, it couldn't handle the volume and I got rid of it. I am wondering if I actually bought a Bassman head with a guitar open back 2x10 cabinet (if they were even made)?

Any thoughts...

Lvjoebass likes this.
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Bassman's had 2x12's ... They didn't sound so well.. The preferred Fender amp was the Dual Showman with 2 JBL D140's

dcbluesbass, 202dy, bassbrad and 9 others like this.
  3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks, dbase, but is was a Bassman amp head with separate cabinet. It's the cabinet that I am questioning...being open at the back. I totally agree with you on the D140's as that's what I eventually with in a custom 2x15 cabinet, powered by a Dynaco 100 tube amp...couldn't afford a Dual Showman at the time;). Oh, and it rocked!

dbase likes this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Me neither.. never had one but always wanted one.. even worse now if you find a vintage showman they cost much much more.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You could make one, JBL D140s pop up every now and then. I've some K140s I've been hoarding for a Sunn 200S cab build. I've the matching Sunn 200S head, it's essentially the 100 watt Dynaco MKIII.

dbase likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Your Fender 210 might be a Tremolux cabinet. It was a sealed back though.

B00621EC-7A80-4008-A9ED-50515EBC445E.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    To the best of my recollection, and I'm old, Fender never made an open-back 210 bass cab. They did make an open-back 410 combo... the original Bassman. Just like the Super Reverb guitar amp.

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I think we all got Shafted but it was the 70's

9. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Correct...One could make one and, yes, Sunn did use Dynaco amps in their original products, according to my research. But, some would question why would you want to build one?

Over the past 50 something years, bass players have changed, bass manufacturers and amp makers have changed their products. Newer bass players and their audiences have little or no recollection, or interest in, what went into the sound at the time. So, I would say, take the technology of today (save some $) and do the best you can to reproduce the sound, if the audience appreciates it, great. If not, at least you have tried...

Another plus, you are not lugging 150 lbs of equipment and suffering the medical bills!

dbase likes this.
  10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Open back = guitar cab, but whether you got shafted depends on whether the seller understood this or not.

11. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks...I couldn't find any 2x10 cabs either but, I don't know it was a bass cab. Thinking it was a guitar cab?

murphy and dbase like this.
  12. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks, bobcruz...appreciate your input. But, if you are selling a Fender Bassman Amp, with cabinet, wouldn't you expect the cabinet to be for a Fender Bassman Amp? It's not that important, all I wanted to know is if there is a 2x10 open back cabinet that Fender produced at the time. Apparently, the only Bassman cabs were sealed...

13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I don't remember a 210 guitar cab, but that wasn't what I'd would have focused on. Until the Bassman (the head and cab version), Bandmaster and Showman/Dual Showman most of Fender's stuff was in combo format.

14. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Not all open back. See post #7.

Here's pics of a 1955

FAM0013_1955_Fender_Bassman.jpg

FAM0013_back.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Got it...mine wasn't. Two separate pieces.

16. Fender never made open back bass cab in the 60s. They made the 410 tweed baseman combo in the 50s but never really was embraced as a real bass amp... We went with ampeg and later with the 215 fender cabs. It really started to happen with ampeg svt, sunn and acoustic in the mid--late 60s.

SoulReflection and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Ok, I went back to post #7. I am not saying it was a Bassman Cabinet. I am suggesting it was a guitar cabinet, open back...if there wasn't any such thing, discussion is over...

18. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I never heard of an open back 210 Fender bass cab either, as far as I know they were all 212 closed back with the small cabs then went to the bigger cabs again with 212's. I had a Dual Showman back then, nice amp, finally got rid of it when I bought my first SVT. I recently bought a really nice Dual Showman blackface head and it sounds great through an 810 SVT cab, and it's pretty loud too, I've always liked Fender tube heads for bass, Fenders and Ampeg's are my favorites.. To me the old black face Fender heads are the classiest looking amps going.
    I think you shafted yourself when you sold that blonde head:laugh:, I used to play with a guitar player who had two blonde heads and two blonde cabs, sounded great with a guitar.

SoulReflection and ahc like this.
  19. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I think those Dynaco's were 60 watt amps, I think there were designated as Dynaco MKIII's, i had one years ago. I have never heard of a dynaco 100 watt tube amp. The Sunn 200S heads were 60 watts also I believe.

upload_2018-2-1_22-25-45.jpeg

20. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I had the 6g6 head and the matching cabinet it came with was a closed back 2x12. I liked the sound, used up into the '80s.

bobyoung53 likes this.