1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I get the right scale strings for my bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jbroad572, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Well, I ordered another Bass, an SX SJB75c:
    # Width of the neck at the nut: 1 9/16"; at the 20st fret: 2 9/16 "
    # Overall length 45"; Scale length: 34"
    # Width at the widest point: 13" Body Thickness is 1 1/2"

I bought the D'Addario Chromes Long scale ECB82 is that the right string I am looking for?

Also while I'm at it...
    For my Brice HXB405 fretless:
    # Scale length is 35"
    # Width of the neck at the nut: 1 6/8" at the 24st fret: 2 6/8"
    # Overall length: 44 1/2" not including the strap button
    # Pickups measure 4" x 1.5"

I ordered TI JAzz flats 345 "This set are the JF-345 Jazz Flatwound, 34" scale, five string set with gauges of .043/.056/.070/.100/.136 US retail price for this set is $130.60" IS that right?

Sorry for the noob questions that I should have asked before buying.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right scale for the Chromes, wrong for the TI's. You need a JF-355 set (I think they do sell them). Can't tell you about the price but $130 sounds excessive.

3. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I didn't pay that much for them. I bought them from Steve @ Vintage Bass. I emailed him the specs on the bass and he said the TI flats should be fine with my Brice 5 string.

4. Standard gauge strings should be fine up to and including 35" scale basses (as long as they arent strung through body), thats what i got told anyway

5. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just had an interesting experience with this topic.

I have new Dean 35" fretless that I was looking to put set of TI Jazz Flats on. I did the noob thing of just looking all over for TI 35" flats without posting a question here or calling. Anyway, I couldn't find any TI 35" scale strings anywhere. So I did the "safe" thing and ordered a set of JF-365s. WRONG! I laid out the B string and the taper and windings at the end of the string started at the tuning post! I got a "deal" at MF for $59.95 so I got them on the phone. The first call resulted in a nice conversation that ended with "Sorry, strings are non-returnable items". I sat for a while and thought about the prospect of having a $60 set of useless strings lying around. I called MF back and talked to product support. They wound up giving me a Return Authorization and an order for a set of JF-345s for $79. The weren't on sale :mad:

Anyway, to second the last post, I was told that JF-345s will fit a 35" scale that isn't strung through the body. We'll know for sure when they get here! I gotta get better at doing my homework!!

Randy

6. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Well, I just strung them up yesterday and they fit just fine, I think they were long enough to even go through the body, but all is well. Since these are thicker gauged strings, they required a different setup. So, Im trying to learn how to set it up properly now.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, then never mind what I said ;)

8. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I was hoping these strings would be really loose from what I have heard with the TI Jazz flats they should be, but the strings are tight and high tension. I don;t think they are supposed to be like that though.