1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I hurt my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Today I pulled out an old yamaha fretless P bass. I hadn't played this thing for a while and never through my 3 pro. It was playing fine, untill I searched for some growl and dug in a bit. from not hitting the clip light once the light when on, and stayed on and I got really nasty distortion. So I put on the -15dB and found a safe level, but in doing so got that distortion a few times (This bass is much hotter than my esp with active electronics, I found out).

I was watching jaco so i got my zoom pedal and put it on the jaco setting, but in the proccess went through some nasty effects that had a REALLY hot signal and i got distortion again.

I kept playing (with the input gain at about 9o'clock and active button on) nothing sounded broken, But I'm not sure. Is my amp ok?:help:

2. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    If nothing sounds broken, then it probably isn't.

S.P.

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Agreed. If your amp didn't switch off, smoke, make a loud pop, or pop a circuit breaker, it's probably okay.

4. At one stage there somthing happened where my tone was REALLY bassy for about half a second, only happened once while playing on the G string. not sure what that was either, I might plug in without the zoom pedal (that I never use) and see what happens.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've put out super deep tones with my envelope filter set to a dub tone before. Nothing bad happened, and the cabs are still working great a year later. :)

6. after playing everything seems fine, all tubes glowing

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Good deal! :)