1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I just blow my tweeter? Cab trouble.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 14, 2012.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I don't have another cab to be 100% certain that it isn't my amp, however, it is not any of my basses (all passive) and I have plugged in different amps into the one cabinet and they all sound the same.

GK Neo112 and no matter what I do, it has this thin, sort of tinny farting sound whenever I play. I was recording up until a couple of minutes ago. I set the tweeter on the cab about 25% and I was doing some feedback stuff (had on a distortion, delay and a Micro POG). BEFORE I started recording, I had no issues, in the middle of it, issues.

Did I just blow my tweeter? And if so, should I contact GK about the stuff being under warranty? This cab is pretty much brand spanking new, so I'm curious.

My amp is a GK800RB and I'm certain it isn't the amp.

Thanks for all the help.

2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Just a quick thought, I do have this under warranty, just checked.

Thanks!

3. Could be the tweet or could be whatever is doing the padding has cooked.

If you don't want the tweeting highs you should EQ it out as the first line of defence.

Feedback on bass is generally a bad idea as the speakers will get sent flying out of the baskets too quickly for you to back off. At least it's only a tweeter or a Lpad. More than a bit cheeky to claim warranty if you ask me.

4. Ever wonder why guitar cabs do not have horn tweeters? Feedback + horns are a bad combo. After replacement if you want to risk the feedback thing again set the cab switch to "Bi-amp", that will dis-connect the horn completely. Your un-informed choice did the damage, G-K may still take care of it but I doubt twice?

5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I wouldn't ask them to replace it twice.

However, I had and Ashdown 414T for about 8 years, kept the horn on "low" (they had a three way switch on the back of their cabs) and did the same sort of stuff and never had any issues.

Uninformed, no doubt, I had never thought about the lack of horn for guitar players. Other than EQing the frequencies out, or bi-amping (which I am also unfamiliar with and am lacking another cab), what would be the suggested way to set the horn on a GK cab?

And this may be obvious, but lots of bass players use feedback and noise and stuff, I'm guessing they use cabs without horns and/or set up in a particular way that allows them the ability to do that?

Thanks again for the info. y'all.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Feedback/OD, other types of "wild effects" put a lot of upper content the tweeter just plain can't handle. Prudence would be to filter out the highs as they likely don't sound that great anyway, but I'm with you just because it is a combo amp. It is designed as an "all-in-one" unit and it should be able to handle whatever. This coming from BobbyBld at Peavey, who would take combo's, thrash them, leave them ringing/feeding back in his office while he went and had lunch. If they failed, they got sent back. In all seriousness, I would expect GK to fix the issue once, but not twice for the same reason....user abuse.

7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Cool! Thanks so much again for this helpful stuff. This is gonna be good.

So can anyone recommend a better cabinet set-up? Or something other than bi-amping?

8. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Seriously? I've got a ported 1971 Carvin cabinet with two 418-8A (15" Altec Lansings) and a mids/high horn, and it's been doing feedback with guitar pretty much since it was born. Don't let IT know that it shouldn't be handling that...

What's the mechanism whereby feedback screws with them?

9. OP do the battery test on the cabinet to see if the woofer is OK. Apply a 9V battery across the tip and sleeve of your speaker cable attached to the cabinet. You should get a healthy clunk for the woofer. If you don't the woofer is toast.

Feedback on bass is quite possible but, IMO, you would need way more than a single 12.

10. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    The guys at GK are excellent!!!!

Just got off the phone with Brian who gave me a lot of good advice, suggestions and knowledge.

Very great people do talk to and do business with.

And thanks again for all of you guys who are helping me with this.

11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I don't let tweeters near my woofers....

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you end up not running the tweeter, sometimes you can get more high end out of the cab if you bypass the crossover as well. Don't know about the GK's, but many cabs have a crossover point for the tweeter well below what the woofer can put out on its own. If it sounds good to you just turning it off then have fun, but you can often get more high end if you bypass it than you can just turning it off. Varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, though.

13. With the G-K NEO cabs just switch the cab to "Bi-amp" when using a 1/4" or speakon with a non G-K RB head (like the MB series, 400RB's, 800 RB and Backlines) and the the tweeter and crossover are disconnected from the amp. :)

14. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    So, B-string, if the switch is set to “Bi-Amp,” then the crossover, tweeter, etc. are removed entirely from the signal path? (I am currently running a GK 800RB into a pair of SVT 410he cabs. I turn the tweeters all the way off, but am concerned that I might overheat and damage part of the crossover/tweeter assembly, based on comments I’ve read here on TB). I am considering replacing the 410s with a pair of GK 212Neo cabs. Also (and apologies for deviating from the thread’s topic), would a pair of 212s sound essentially identical to the GK 412Neo cab, or are there significant differences (internal dimensions etc.)? Thanks!

15. That is it exactly. In "bi-amp" the tweeter horn is connected directly to the 2+,2- of the speakon and the crossover is "dead-weight" not connected at all. The 1/4" and 1+,1- (woofer) of the speakon are always connected. Engage the "full range" and the cross-over with L-pad are active and tweeter horn is disconnected from the 2+,2- and connected to the cross-over output.
    My new NEO212 is not fully broken in yet but so far it's sound is more "old school" than the NEO412. The NEO412 when new was a little low-mid heavy if I remember correctly that evened out when it broke-in and now is a power house more neutral sounding cab. I haven't played out with the 212 yet so I don't know if it has the same awesome projection of the 412.

16. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks for clarifying that, B-string, I appreciate it!

17. No worries :cool:

18. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    My cab has an automotive-type light bulb protecting the tweeter. Not sure if yours does also, if it does, might be the easiest thing to check first.

19. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Okay, it just got more interesting.

I took the cab to Nashville Amp and they told me absolutely nothing was wrong with the cab.

I get home and after 3 days of playing I am practicing some slide stuff, had on a microPOG and the Wooly Mammoth. Sure enough, all the sudden the buzzing noise comes back.

I switch amps, basses, pedals, go straight in (no pedal board), etc.... Even changed cabs and did the same thing which led to no issues. So, I know for a fact, it's the cab.

Well, I keep test playing it to make sure it's messed up so I can take it back to the shop and last night I plug it in and absolutely no problems. Cab plays fine. Don't understand it at all and can't figure it out.

I call the repair place and they tell me they think it's not the tweeter/horn, but the woofer itself. Problem (if you can say this) now is that the cab works just fine and I can't take it to the repair shop making the noise making it harder for them to diagnose.

What should I do? and do any of you good TB'ers out there have any ideas or suggestions.

I want to also say, I have been using the same pedals, slides, techniques and basses with different other cab/amp configurations and have never, ever had any of these issues.

20. Have you checked for loose mounting hardware on the speakers, grill and horn? Humidity changes could affect the buzz if drivers are slightly loose.