1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I just break my truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassanddrums, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    I heard a pop while tuning my strings back up. I'm scared, I like that bass.

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    neck moved on his pocket?

3. No.

4. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    hallelujah!

5. Did you have a string overlapping itself on the post and then "pop" into place?

6. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    Maybe strings sliding in the nut groove? Kinda sticky there sometimes.

7. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    That's a chance, I just hope it was something like that

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    do you string-through the body or the bridge?

my Lakland is strung through the body, and sometimes the ball-ends bet caught on the lip of the body, until the tension sets in and POP!!!

If the neck is still solid, I doubt you broke your truss rod. Does your truss rod havea cover either on the neck side or the headstock side?

9. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    if you mean a cover over the opening to rod yes on the headstock

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Had a cheapo bass in my youth that would creak every now and then when higher tension strings were put on it or when the truss rod would get tweaked. It never broke. The noise was definitely not strings popping into place. I'd always assumed it was the wood settling rather loudly. Made me paranoid the first couple times it happened. I'd frantically check to see if there was a crack forming somewhere. Never found an issue with it. Haven't experienced that phenomena since I got rid of that bass sometime in the mid-ninties.

11. If youre truss rod broke (ive had one break on an ebay neck I bought) when you string up to tension the neck will have an absurd amount of relief, just sight check the relief.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    The modifier is right - you'll know if you broke the rod - you'll have like an inch or so of relief and the neck will look sorta like a bow and arrow set without the arrow. :cool:

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not every noise is a catastrophe. Calm down and try turning the nut on the rod. You'll know if you get resistance or not.

14. YUP try tightening the rod, if it turns freely you have a problem, if you feel resistance, no worries...