Did I just get burned? Sketchy used AG500 (video)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rottie Roo Roo, Jun 9, 2021.

1. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Ok , so you bought it , and had a practice session with it , confirming everything was ok? Then , with the amp in your possession , something failed?

please just take it to a tech and stop trying to contact the seller.

2. A couple of suggestions presented so far are really very good ones to try before taking it to a shop.
    1. Remove from the case and test as it was before.
    2. It is true that the send and receive jacks can cause problems somewhat like this. It happened to me and a good cleaning fixed it.
    I hope it works out for you in the long run.

ashtray and MrBass617 like this.
  3. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    I will be trying this cleaning this evening, years ago I had a GK 800RB that had an effects loop issue and a jumper cable was the solution.

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  4. Zoffy

Zoffy Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    This. You are literally threatening to go to the guy's house and "rectify the problem." It's a used amp - did the seller make any promises that implied that the amp was pristine and free of any faults (which it was the first time you played it)? It's used gear. It's possible that the last time the seller used it, it sounded fine. Could be a bad ground on your end. Could be a lot of things that don't require "rectifying.":meh:

superblues, MDBass, mcnach and 6 others like this.
  5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    At practice, did you play through a different cab, maybe one that didn't have a tweeter?

6. Out of curiosity, where did you get that rack case from? I have been trying to find an Aguilar head case that was sold alongside these amps for my AG500, but have not had luck.

Not sure about the buzz. You can try another cable and cabinet to see if that changes anything, but sounds like it is in the head.

Try removing it from the case and see if the noise is still present. There’s a cooling duct on top and back of the amp - make sure that has access to air, though that shouldn’t cause a buzz sound.

I have a slight hum with my AG500, but very slight. Can’t notice unless I put my ear to the speaker cab.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What does “rectify” mean in this context?

elgranluis likes this.
  8. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Sounds very similar to a Peavey powered speaker I bought off Facebook. I realized at the time that it buzzed, but it was cheap so I bought it anyways. I could see that the plastic receptacle for the power cord was loose, and that it probably had a grounding issue. I replaced the receptacle (it was broken, wouldn’t snap back in to place), and it’s silent now.

Any chance something similar happened to yours when you put it in the case? Maybe check to see if the case is interfering with the power cord? Try a different power cord? Sorry that’s all I have for you. But in my limited experience, the noise sounds like a grounding issue. Good luck, and I hope you figure it out.

9. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    he's gonna return the amp, rectally.

musicman556 and spatters like this.
  10. When someone tells you "It was Ok last time I checked"; Red Flag; especially when followed by "Haven't used it in a few years". Giving him right of denial

He might as well just said to you "I'm from the government and I'm here to help":)

Clark W likes this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    If you want to have some 'recourse' about an amp that melts down the second time you use it - buy a brand new amp with warranty support.

Second-hand gear that is out of warranty "is what it is" and the seller didn't make any representations as to the amp's future fitness. He told you straight out "everything was working OK last he checked " and " he was selling it because he'd not used it in a few years".

So the amp has been sitting around aging for years and hasn't been checked recently, and you bought it sight unseen without testing it because "it was a good deal". YA PAYS YER MONEY AND YA TAKES YER CHANCES. :woot:

PLUS, it worked fine for one practice, then you started mucking around with it - and now its buzzing - and... somehow it's now a problem for the FORMER OWNER? :rolleyes: I don't think so...

12. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    Just spitballing here but try unplugging your fridge. Similar thing happened to me - it was an old fridge on the same circuit that was causing the hum.

13. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    A clothes washer or dishwasher can cause hum too. Anything with a motor that draws meaningful wattage from the same circuit can cause problems, though I agree that the refrigerator is the most likely culprit.

14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Retrofit a GZ34?

mikewalker likes this.
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is why I suggested trying in a completely different location.

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Everyone wants a $200 amp with the warranty and support of a brand new, $2000 amp. It's one of the downsides of selling used gear and the longer PayPal dispute period.

17. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    Also fridges and AC units (etc) cycle on and off as part of their normal operation, so that's why it might have worked fine one time, and then not the next.

spatters and agedhorse like this.
  18. Rottie Roo Roo

Rottie Roo Roo Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. Will try to A as many Q's as I can.

To answer the many people who asked, that's my next course of action. I'm gonna try it at work; I'm a welder, if we ain't got a good power supply at work we got a problem. Will report back Monday.

Any and all suggestions are warmly appreciated and not at all "stupid" :). I tried with both a speakon and a 1/4" cable (alcab accepts either), no appreciative change.

No, and I'm not bothered by it. Running the AG500 through the GS212 is LOUD - if I'm getting to that point, I'd be more worried about triggering avalanches than a slight hiss.

To the multiple people who asked, I don't recall it humming prior to putting it in the case HOWEVER in hindsight, the AC was on full blast directly above it so I may have not have noticed. I removed the legs to mount it to the case's 2U rack as they wouldn't fit. Tonight I shall try removing the unit from the case and reattaching the legs.

No.

Yes he did, but to avoid derailing the thread I'm not going to comment beyond that. Thank you for your opinion.

To clarify, I practiced at home for about an hour with my stereo speakers and an AC. So a lot of sound pinging around. The GS212 DOES have a tweeter, turning that off had no effect however.

Thank you for your opinion.

Gearhead17 and Cowboy in Latvia like this.
  19. Rottie Roo Roo

Rottie Roo Roo Supporting Member

So as it turns out, the amp was fine other than a few pots and caps on their way out... because I had the tweeter up on my GS212 cabinet it was catching some high frequency buzzing from the class D power section of the amp. Turned off the tweeter, the buzzing went away.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don’t believe the caps on their way out BS. That’s almost always an attempt to fix something without knowing what the real cause is.

The fact that you have to turn the tweeter off tells me they fixed nothing related to your primary symptoms.

RichSnyder likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021