Did I just get scammed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I was transfering money online to a friend via Western Union by going to http://www.westernunion.com. I fill out all this information. I made sure the site was secure and all that stuff. Then after I finish the process mozilla warns me about this address https://netsage.finali.com/netsage?...sp?SEND_AMOUNT=233.13&RCP_COUNTRY=AU&chosts=9

Now im not exactly sure what netsage is or if it's a part of western union. Anyone ever run in to this problem? Should I worry? Should I not worry? What should I do?

Thanks guys.

On my Bank of America page it says

Pending Transactions....
    CHECKCARD WESTERNUNION COM M 877-989-3268 CO DEBIT ON 08/24/2005
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Let me continue on to what happened.

I went to the western union site filled out information and submitted it. A little processing thingy came up and started blinking. Then this little bank of america (my bank) form pops up and asks me to put my last 6 didgets of my SSI# and I do so. It also tells me to make a password which I also do. Then the processing screen pops up again. Now it shows that it's complete but wait mozilla pop up with this warning window because the URL is a bit different. This is where I panic.After I made the first post I checked my email. There I find this

To: shamash8@yahoo.com
    Subject: Bank of America - Verified by Visa Activation Confirmation

This message confirms your activation of the Verified by Visa service. This service provides added safety when you shop online and is offered to you at no charge.

From now on, when shopping at online participating merchants, your purchase is protected with the password you created during the service activation. Please save your password in a safe place, you will need it for future purchases.

Please personalize your Verified by Visa account as soon as you can at the Personal Account Manager site.

When personalizing your account, you will be able to create your own login name and establish password hints that will later help you in case you forget your password.

The Verified by Visa password protection applies to all cardholders on the account. If this account is co-owned with another cardholder, they should activate the Verified by Visa service by visiting the Verified by Visa site, selecting their own personal password.

This is an outbound message only. Please do not reply.
    If you have any questions, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or contact us by secure e-mail.

Thank you,
    Bank of America
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I dunno, no experience with it myself, BUT, it can't hurt to check with the customer service department of Bank of America. They don't want your money disappearing almost as much as you.
  4. Netsage and finali are valid companies involved in web based commerce, they just merged recently.

I found something on the Nigerian buyer scam that referenced a similar link, but it may be that the scammers included that link because it is valid, but spoofed it to go to another IP address.

Acid test? Since you're wiring a friend the money. Did he get the money? How much got deducted from your account. If they match, minus whatever processing fee, its probably on the up and up. You went directly to the western union site, right? Usually the scams send you an email with a phony link that LOOKS like it went to western union, and instead goes to a look alike site that records your acct#, password when you try to log in. So if you went directly into WU, you're probably ok.

5. yeah, you should definetly have that checked. it wouldn't hurt. and do it soon, just to save yourself.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is speculation but it looks to me like the western union site possibly had some adware involved and makes it look like part of the process of sending the money when it's actually optional. That's just my guess.

brad cook
  7. I had something similar pop-up when I was doing a secure transaction once, it was the Verified by Visa thing. I got nervous about it, so I went to my bank's website (where my CC is). I was able to sign up for this Verified by Visa that way, and upon going back to complete the transaction, I saw that it was in fact legit. It doesn't hurt to be cautious. Like someone else said, try calling your bank.