Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I kill my Trace Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by litoljon, Jan 29, 2005.

1. litoljon

litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    Hello guys!

I was at a gig yesterday running the following:
    Trace AH350SM
    Trace 1048 cab
    Trace 1508 cab
    also a Shure Guitarist wireless

After the first song, there was nothing coming out of the amp.

I had the input gain at about 6-7, output at about the same or less and the wireless gain set at about 1 or 2 o'clock.

After about 2 to 3 minutes of turning off the power and unplugging the speakers from the amp, i finally get some sound.

I lowered the volume to about 4-5 on output, input and wireless. the amp dies again in the middle of the 2nd song.

After another 2 to 3 minutes, it comes back up and again i lower the volumes. Again off after the song.

I tested it this morning it seems to be fine. But i think the actual output is much lower than what i am used to. I've had this setup for about 5 months now.

What do you guys think? Is it time to get a bigger rig?

Thanks!

->arthur

2. I'm assuming you also checked your wireless for battery problems and the like by playing without it?

You may want to check your fuse(s) in the head(s) as they can go sorta half out and kill your sound. Also of course check the speaker cones and connections for fraying or breaks. Also, if your heads use tubes (no clue myself), check them, as dying tubes can seriously affect your setup.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    First thing I would do is bag the wireless and use a cable, see if that solves the problem. They can be terribly unreliable at times. Also consider swapping speaker cables. Wireless and cables are always the first step in troubleshooting. Also examine your power plug and how firm it sits in the outlet.

4. litoljon

litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    Yup ... it looks like the culprit is the wireless. Shoulld have gone cable all the way! :scowl:

Live and learn i guess ...

Thanks guys for the very quick replies!

->arthur