1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I make a good purchase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RexNFX79, Jan 10, 2012.

1. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Just snagged a 2011 Fender Deluxe Jazz 5, US made for well below market value. I like the look and functions of the bass but I've never played one. While I usually don't buy items I've never played, at this price, it was worth the chance. It is the transparent wine finish which I think looks pretty killer. Any owners of these basses have any feedback? How is the B string? Just looking for some honest reviews from owners.

2. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    well, if you bought it below market value, and you end up not liking it, sell sell sell!!!

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I owned a MIM Jazz Deluxe V and also a MIA Jazz Deluxe V fretless. Both were well made, the B was pretty good (though I think the 55-02, Stingray, and FNA Jazzman I've owned since then have had better B's than those Jazzes did), and the 3-band EQ made them very versatile. IIRC, the pickups and electronics in the MIM were the same as was used in the MIA model at that time.

The only reason I sold the MIM was that it was ridiculously heavy - 13.5 pounds. Otherwise I would have kept it. The only reason I sold the MIA is because I had to admit to myself that I suck enough on bass all on my own. I did NOT need the added challenge of a fretless for that! :p

Bottom line, at least in my opinion ... nice basses, tonally versatile. I always thought the MIM model was an especially good value gievn the price and that it has the same electronics as the MIA model. However, they have come up in price quite a bit since I bought mine (around 2000).

4. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have the same bass and love it. Best bass I've owned. I think the B is pretty good. I have heard many good things about them (while I was doing my research) and I can confirm everything I've heard. If given the chance, I'd buy it again.

5. lx_night

lx_night

Sep 3, 2008
    Oklahoma city
    what did you pay?

6. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    It wasn't an absolute fire sale price but couple hundred bucks under what I've seen them go for elsewhere. I basically pulled the trigger because I knew I could easily get my money back out of it if I didn't like it. I've owned deluxe jazzes before and I have a Custom Classic Jazz now. My biggest issue with any Fender Five I've owned is that the B string never knocks me out. I guess mainly I'm curious if they are that much better than preceding deluxe jazzes. Guess I'll have to play it and find out. If I don't like it, I guess it may end up in the classified section here.....stay tuned! :)