Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I make a mistake? Need suggestions on SWR amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, May 28, 2004.

1. Did I make the mistake of buying the first 100+watt amp I saw at the store? I mean, anything would be better then the cheap 10watt Ibanez amp I got. Now, I'm not sure if I messed up by buying a SWR 160watt Combo Bass Amp (Workingmans 15 Combo). I regret doing it, not sure if buying that ruins my chance of having a nice set up in the future. Is it possible to suit my combo up nice to have a loud clean sound? I want it louder, just not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

This is going to sound horrible, but adding a cabinet adds the amount of watts the cab says it has? Let's say it's a 200 watt cabinet, and my amp ois 160.. would I have 300+ watts? Or does it work different?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
    Help me feel the bass against my chest when I pick a string! :bassist:

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The watts on the cab is how much it will handle. Not sure on the getting louder, what size speaker does the combo have in it? Never mind I read your post again. You could possibly add a 210 to it and that might beef it up a little. How long ago did you buy it? You might be able to take it back and trade up.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Here's how it works. Your combo produces 160 watts with the internal 8 ohm speaker. If you add an extension cabinet (minimum of 8 ohms) the amp will see a 4 ohm load, producing 200 watts. Do not add a 4 ohm cab, as this will drop impedance below 4 ohms and damage the amp. The workingman's 2x10T cab would work well.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A WM15 may not be the world's loudest amp but it can get pretty darn loud. It's a well built pro-quality amp that excels at clean sounds, so it's not a "mistake" to have bought it.

OK, how loud does it have to be? What kind of music do you play, what kind of bass do you use, how do you have the EQ set up, etc.?

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Although it depends on the gig, a WM15 has a lot of volume for a combo, cuts through, has a good DI for going into the PA system, and has a nice, round sound.

The only real competition for the WM15 is the Ampeg B110r (I think. . .). The both sound good, with the WM15 being louder IIRC.

I had a WM12 for years, played outdoor and indoor gigs going into the PA system through the DI. Always had pretty good volume, and it had less power and a smaller speaker.

Although probably not accurate, I have always thought that for a combo to equal the power and tone of a good stage rig the combo would lose its principal virtues- ease of use, ease of cartage, and simplification of the wide variety of Things That Go Wrong. There are some very expensive combos these days.

Don't get buyer's remorse. I am very guilty of that. The important thing is that your gear meets the requirements of the gigs/jams/practices/whatever. These things are only tools. If you need it (and only then) Buy an Avatar 1X15 or 2X10 at 8 ohms, but I bet you could cover most reasonable gigs without an extra cab.

I think its a great, cost-effective purchase.

6. I agree with 7thbass, SWR make some good stuff, Ive personally never owned any of their gear but tried it shows and in shops and I do think its good equipment. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing and should be banned. Make the most of your new amp!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Allow me to steal a line from the highly esteemed Smokey the Bear. After some minor modification, it goes like this:

Only you can prevent buyers remorse.

-Mike

8. Fair enough but I never get it anyway, I buy something and later dont get on with it, it gets replaced, simple!