1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rochefort, Apr 20, 2017.

1. rochefort

rochefort

Mar 14, 2017
    So I finally decided on what amp I should buy - and I chose a Markbass CMD 121H LM3 combo. I chose it because of the sound, but also because of the weight, and the possibility of being able to gig with it, if needed in the future. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that it's going to be way too loud to use at lower volumes in an apartment / bedroom, since it's a 1x12 cab rated at 300 watts. I know that you can use the master volume to adjust the volume accordingly, and the amp being SS means that higher volume doesn't make it sound "better" like a cranked tube amp does.. I don't know - maybe it's my excessive worry running loose again, but I just would like to have someone chime in, so I can rest my head reassured that I made a fine choice.

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current or previous endorsements with: GK, DR Strings, Rotosound, EB, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    You answered your own question. Speaker size, watts, and all that garbage mean NOTHING if you have a volume knob. I've used my 610 in my bedroom with 700 watts.... no issue and my wife couldn't hear me in the other room.

Stop worrying, start playing

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I think you're fine. You can't play it too softly. Since you need something to gig with, you're good. Get it up off the floor if you want to limit what the people hear below you.

Yeah, you're worrying too much, I think.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I live in a duplex and my practice rigs consist of a 3x10 Epifani being driven by a 2000w power amp and a fEARful 1212/6 being driven by a Markbass SD 800.

You'll be fine, just use the knobs appropriately.

5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    You're fine.

6. litom

litom

Oct 5, 2015
    I use markbass 210 combo for practice no problem

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Non sequitur
    Depends on how the amp was designed. Mark bass knows how to design amplifiers.

"If it sounds good, it still may loud enough to annoy the neighbors"

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yes, and keep track of whether or not the neighbors are at home. The people I feel for are vocalists who live in apartments. That would be a drag at least for me. I don't want anyone to hear me at all when I'm working on vocals, that's a sorry thing a lot of the time. What do they do, put a bag over their heads?

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    We live in houses. :p

4StringDave and klokker like this.
  10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Rock.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Don't forget that, even if the amp went immediately from zero to too loud (which I doubt), you still have a volume knob on your bass... so, as others said, you're fine, forget about that. Enjoy the new amp!

12. JJR58

JJR58 "Big Angry Piano" Supporting Member

The volume and bass knob are your friends.
    And it's those low frequencies that travel.

My rig is absolute overkill for my apartment, but i roll off quite a bit of bass.
    And keep the volume down, and all is good.

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    You made a mistake!

jk

Michael Schreiber and QweziRider like this.
  14. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Oh my goodness yes you have made a horrible mistake. You must PM me immediately so that I we can exchange addresses. You send me your crazy loud obnoxious combo, and I'll send you this.
    Blackstar FLY3Bass - 3W 1x3" Bass Combo Amp
    [​IMG]

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use the 700-watt B|Amp and an HDN212 in my smallish practice room. Not loud at all - my wife and daughter have never complained ... about that, anyway. Even so, I've never underpowered my cab.

Michael Schreiber and Lvjoebass like this.
  16. rochefort

rochefort

Mar 14, 2017
    As always, the Talkbass community never ceases to amaze me in regards to the amount of support you get when you have an issue at hand - thanks a lot, everyone!

mikeyjm2 and Michael Schreiber like this.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    The only thing you're missing is a headphone outlet on the amp, but the volume control will do the job for the neighbors. Also, roll your lows back to around 10:00. If you gig with the combo you will be amazed how big of a venue it will cover. I know, I have one, too, although mine is from 2008.

Pumpkin likes this.
  18. rochefort

rochefort

Mar 14, 2017
    Well, I used to think that I needed a headphone jack for silent practicing at night, but then I learned about using the line out from the amp to a usb interface, and from there to headphones..

19. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    You answered your question.

My main rig is two 4x10 cabs being fed from a QSC PLX1802 - running bridged. Got no issues at all using it as a practice rig while home and everyone else asleep. Volume knob.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  20. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    If you live upstairs try to isolate from the floor. Put it on something soft.