1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I make out (Shen S80)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BawanaRik, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    or am I a fool.

I was looking for a UR bass for a while. About a year ago I saw a Shen S80 and worked out the deal and bought it. It came with a bow, adjustable bridge, bag a disposable PU and everything looked striaght. And when the seller played it, the bass sounded great. I got the bass for 7 beans. I did the negotiating and that was about as good as I could get. I did splurge and put a set of Spirocores on it. I like the way the way the bass sounds and plays. But this is liking my first pizza, I don't know much better.

What worries me is that used UR seem to go for close to new URs. And I got this for less than half the price of a new. Did I pay too little? Did I pay too much and don't know it?

Or since I'm happy should I shut up play? Or too be more exact, spend more time working out. This is an athletic instrument and I'm going to need to bulk up a bit to play it.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In all likelihood, you made out. Congrats, and welcome to the dark side.

I've played a couple of SB80's in shops. It's a good honest bass. When you get a chance, you should have a luthier look it over.

I'm not a big athletic dude, but I can play my upright for hours. It's about using your body correctly, not necessarily how strong you are.

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    You could always give the seller another $4-500 if it would make you feel better. Take some lessons with that saved money to get yourself off to a mechanically good start. Congratulations on an amazingly good deal!

4. Spend money on lessons. Be happy.