Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    For the jazz I'm building, I bought a set of dimarzio ultra jazzes. It's an alder body with a maple fretboard, and it's not completely done so I don't know how it sounds yet. The bass I currently own is a skyline 55-01. Now it's a great bass and sounds beautiful when soloed, but it's a little too sweet to cut through with a band. Also, the slap sound is very weak when compared to the fingerstyle, and I am not a hard player. If I try boosting high mids to cut through, it sounds gross and nasaly, so I usually end up cutting the high mids and boosting the low mids which sound more pleasing. So I wanted pickups with good low mids and a good cutting slap sound and I went with the ultras. But now I am reading reviews that say the ultra jazzes don't cut through that well. So I'm asking those who use ultra jazzes, what music do you play and how do they do?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I play all kinds of music. Mostly fingerstyle, but a little slap(still getting that down :) ) sometimes with a pick.

Based on what you wrote about the sound you're after, I think you're gonna be very happy with those pickups.

In fact, if you wire easch one to a push/pull volume pot, you're gonna be even happier. This will allow you to use each one either in series, or parallel mode. The diagram is available from DiMarzio-just shoot them an email.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it! :hyper: