1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

So I had my car broken into a little while ago, and my bass gear was pinched. Thankfully my insurance company was kind enough to give me a hefty cash settlement in credit at my local store.

I went in on the weekend, and geared up BIG. Got me a streamliner 900, genz benz 4x10 focus, a tech 21 overdrive/fuzz pedal, and a new bass. Great service, left happy, gave great feedback.

There were a couple basses in my range, and I think I mightve chosen the wrong one. I'm a lefty, so there's limited range to start, but here's the options I got given: Ernie Ball 4 string sterling, Warwick rockbass corvette 5 string, MTD Kingston 4.

I chose the rockbass. It was cheapest, tonally had some good options, and I could afford a lot of other stuff with it. I've got my first practice with it tonight, and I want feedback from ym bandmates. I've got this sinking feeling that I made the wrong choice though. The EB sounded GREAT. Like, really nice.

So what would you guys have chosen? And if I'm not happy, should I contact the store and see what they can do? Or just suck it up and live with my decision for better or for worse?

Thanks for any input.
    RN

2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    EB would have been my choice due to neck and feel, but if you feel you want to try different bass did thye give you a 5-10 day trial to return bass?...If not sure then give them a call. Can't hurt.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Personally, if they were ALL 4 strings, then i would go for the sterling. but since the Warwick you chose is a 5 banger, i think that it could come in useful depending on the music you play. How long do you have before you can return the wick (if you can), how much refund would you get? what music do you play? are all questions i would consider before returning equipment. Trust your gut feeling. Maybe go back and A/B both basses if possible? Best of luck and let us know what the decision becomes!

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    You just droped some serious coin in that store! Call em up tell them you love the amp but the bass ain't doing it. I would be suprised if they were not willing to work with you.

5. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your gear but it sounds like you got some nice stuff to replace it. Out of those basses I would have personally chosen the Sterling 4. My reasoning would be that I don't really care for 5 strings, haven't been fond of MTD Kingston stuff that I have picked up, and I like EBMM Sterling's. Does that mean you picked the wrong bass? No, If you liked what you got out of the Rockbass than great, you've made the right choice. If you you liked the sterling better than yes, you chose wrong. Now, obviously there is a bit of a price difference there so I could see how that could factor in. Bottom line if you like the bass, play it and don't worry about anything else.

6. Yeah there is about a 200 difference between the EB and the rockbass. The MTD had a really pinched feeling neck, and was 700 more than the rockbass (although it was beautiful, and incredibly light) so it's out of the running straight up.

I'm gonna play the rockbass tonight and see how it goes, ask the band for feedback (assuming theyre listening to the bass) and see what the feedback is like.

We play bit of metal and a bit of rock, and I also LOVE jamming blues, and the last is the main reason I think I chose wrong. The sterling was PERFECT for blues.

I guess the extra 5 notes could come in handy, but is it enough? Probably not, if I'm not happy with the tone. The guy who sold me this gear was AWESOME. He bent over backwards for me, and his advice was top notch, so I have every confidence that he would do what he could to help me. Only problem is, if I do decide to go ahead and make the change, there's about 120 difference that I cant cover between the rockbass and the sterling. Hopefully he's feeling generous....

7. Oh and yeah there is a 10 day trial period. They're not obliged to make the exchange though, they can say no. I dont think they will but they can.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's not really a "right" or "wrong" bass for anything. If you like playing the Rockbass, then it's right. If you preferred playing the EB, then the EB was right.

Tone will always be a factor, but the bottom line is; if you don't enjoy playing it - no matter what it sounds like - you're not going to have a good experience and if you do enjoy playing it - no matter what it sounds like - you'll find a way to make it work in whatever playing situation you're in.

The one you picked up in the store that made you think "Hey! That's nice!" is the right bass for you, no matter what style you're playing.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Slap some flats on it and play some blues!!

10. You make a good point. I picked this one cause I liked it. I did like the sterling too, and so did everyone listening, but this is a pretty bass, and it has some tone.

I think the only way I'll know is to really play it hard tonight, and if it ain't fun and the tone ain't standing out, make the switch.

11. So, after my practice on tuesday, I was fairly disappointed with the rockbass. Tonally, I twiddled away with the knobs and pickup controls, to no avail. Very standard muddy tone, and not much I could do about it one way or another. Also, a VERY heavy bass. Which I expected from a 5 string, but still, not worth it. I'll put up with a heavy bass for good tone, but not for average tone.

So I called the store, arranged an exchange for the Sterling, and picked it up 3 hours ago. In order to afford, I had to take my hardcase back, but the Sterling came with a really well padded soft case anyway, so not a huge deal.

WOW.

Huge difference. It's still a clone for the stingray as opposed to a warwick clone, but this thing gets SO close to stingray tone. The tone is muscular and growly, with a nice fat bottom, and sings really well at the high end too. For a single humbucking pickup, the EQ knobs make a big difference tonally, so I have options there.

All in all, I definitely made the wrong choice. Thankfully I put it right, and I cant wait to open up the Streamliner with this beast attached. It's going to be insane.

12. Robdrone

Robdrone

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm glad you wound up getting something you like. I also am a lefty and I know how hard it is to find quality gear at a decent price. I made the switch to bass less than a year ago and had to make a similar decision. I went with the Schecter Stiletto Studio 4. I feel like I made a good decision as well. I'm not sure if there is another bass in that price range with similar features available in left handed. Give it a look if you want to add to your arsenal in the future.

13. Yeah I've looked at in the past. You can't get it cheap here. But it does look like an awesome bass. Beautiful looking too.

14. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Ah, it all becomes clear - you're talking about Sterling by MusicMan Ray34 rather than EBMM Sterling. Different basses with very different prices!

I love my MTD Kingston 5er but didn't get on with the 4-string I tried. I think the asymmetric profile works best on a wider neck, but that's just me. If it was truly 700 more than the Rockbass (70 seems more reasonable!) then it was seriously overpriced. I'd have chosen the Ray34 as well in your shoes.

15. I'm happy the store took care of you!

16. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    After reading the thread and all the second thoughts and opinions, the reality is only you can supply the definitive answer to your question.

The right choices for each of the rest of us might not be the right choice for you. It's your equipment, your decision, and your choice. The only important opinion is yours.

Remember, it's your rig, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it, either, you're the one who has to be satisfied.

17. That's pretty much it at the end of the day. And that's what pretty much everyone has said. There is no such thing as the perfect bass, but there are basses that are more right for me than others.

18. Yeah sorry about that, I wasn't sure of the exact branding. Huge difference in price. The ray34 is a really, really great bass for the price though. Very well made with a fantastic tone very similar to an authentic stingray. Whereas the rockbass looked nice and just didn't come alive at all or sound anything like the German counterpart. Sounded dead. I guess the difference is one was a good replica bass and one was a bad one.

19. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Just curious - was the Rockbass double-buck version, or 2 J style pickups? Active or passive?

I originally grabbed the $$, but ended up trading down for the JJ - which was much better tonally.

20. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I'm a lefty too, I know the frustration in finding a good bass. I did the opposite of you. About a year ago I sold my last MM for Thumb. Glad you got what works for you. I do miss my SR5 from time to time, but after having a couple Wicks in my stable, the chunky necks are better for me and easier to play.

Warwick and Carvin IMO is the most lefty friendly companys out there.