Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I mess up my new Nordstrand MM 5.3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carl-anton, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Hi

I just installed my new Nordstrand MM 5.3 in my Stingray5. Now the swithcing is reversed so what sounds like parallel is neck-position and series is now bridge position. And suddenly the series and single coil positions are much louder that the parallel. Did I screw up the installation? I'm pretty confident that I did the wiring as the original pickup, but of course I've could have got it wrong.

Please help

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Post a pic of your wiring, and if you can, any wiring diagram along with, and we can certainly help better.

Ray

3. I wired it like this (see attached file)

I'm opening the bass again now to double check. After playing it thought headphones I noticed that the bridge position has a littel noise. None of the positions really sounds like a stingray.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well dude, no offense meant, but if you wired it excatly like that, then either one the pickup is messed up hence your troubles, OR you didn't wire it correctly ;). If there's noise, sounds like you're missing a ground...

Ray
    Either that or the pickup should be wire differently, in which you really ought to contact them and find out :).

5. Well, double checked my wiring, and it seems allright. I'm not that experienced with soldering so I don't know if anything could go wrong there. All the connections look fine to me, but the shielding caused me a little trouble because it unraveled a bit. Besides, the shield wire didn't have a outerwrap like the colored wires (the original shield wire had a transparant thick wrapping).

Is there anything I could check regarding the soldering points? How would the pickup sound if the shield wire isn't soldered properly? Would it just be noisier?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It may be right according to that diagram, but may not be for his pickup. I suggest you post this in Carey Norstrand's forum here, he'll be able to tell you excatly what you need.

Ray

7. I think it's right as it is.
    But I found out that I pinched the cable when I screwed the pickup on. Bummer. There's a cut right through the shielding wrap exposing the core wires so it's proballly some kind of shortcirciut.

I'm a fool :(

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :p we all do stupid things... fix that wire and get back to us:).

Ray

9. I will. But it'll have to wait untill tomorrow. It's night here.

Thanks for listening :)

10. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hi Carl,
    I'm sorry you have had some problems with your installation. If you want, you can send the pickup back to me and I'll send you out a new one ASAP. If you manage to get the wires repaired and don't need a new one then that's ok too. Just let me know if you have any problems and I'll help you as quickly as possible.
    Thanks,
    Carey

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And THAT is C.S.!

Ray

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    On my SR5 the series and single-coil positions sound louder than then parallel too...

13. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    How cool is that?!!!

14. Wow, thanks Carey :)

I'll try to fix it today, but I can't believe you'll replace what I messed up. That's really cool!

Thanks

15. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You know what actually saddens is that good C.S. like Carey's elicits a response like this. That kind of support should be the standard the world over but it just isn't. Too bad, it used to be and it seems like no one bothers with CS anymore except people who actually give a **** about what they do and their customers and people like that always seem to come out ahead. So bravo for Carey, you're the man!