Did I miss something with Rickenbackers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waltwpowell, May 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. waltwpowell

waltwpowell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    Did Rickenbacker change factories, build countries, quality, etc. in recent years. I keep seeing people asking over $2000 for 3-10 year old 4003s, when they go for $̶1̶9̶0̶0̶ $1999 brand new from Sweetwater and on Reverb. I get why a 70's 4001 fetches $3k but I don't get the recent crazy pricing on used late models. I feel like it wasn't that long ago (5 years or so) that you could pick up a used Rick for $1200 -$1400 everyday. What happened? I didn't get the memo.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    maxschrek, MaryMary and woodyng2 like this.
  2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I don’t think they go for $1900 new anymore from anywhere...

L

3. waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    I stand corrected $1999
    upload_2021-5-25_16-7-16.png

woodyng2 likes this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Wildwood usually has some of the best prices on a Ric.
    I think the days of $1,900 brand new are over.
    4003 | Bass Guitars, Rickenbacker | Wildwood Guitars

5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

6. waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    upload_2021-5-25_16-17-19.png

GregC and B-Mac like this.
  7. I think it's like anything else in the pandemic: supply and demand issue.

People with nothing else to do want stuff *now*! and are willing to pay a markup for that immediacy.

There are no real bargains right now to be had on used music equipment it seems...

I'm also a cyclist; people are paying crazy prices for used bikes these days because supply lines have dried up. You have to wait two years now to get a new bike.

8. waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    upload_2021-5-25_16-25-25.png

9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I think prices did just recently go up, but check wildwood for the best prices.

B-Mac likes this.
  10. waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    Wildwood literally has the worst prices they are 17% higher than Sweetwater and 30% higher than Musician's Friend. I feel like the Rickenbacker community is trying to gaslight me. LOL

upload_2021-5-26_0-18-7.png

g-dude, southpaw723, Zak TMD and 3 others like this.
  11. 2nd hand prices have gone up across the board because of pandemic and supply. Reverb is the worst barometer of all for gauging pricing and if anyone actually pays those prices, then I'd say a village has lost it's idiot!

In the UK new Rickenbackers can take a long time to move off the shelves and so I doubt many would be paying the same for 2nd hand one.

This one has been around for at least 2 years!
    Buy the Rickenbacker 4003S Jetglo

rtav likes this.
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Here you show a 4003. Where the other screen shots you are posting up top are 4003S.
    The S model is a little cheaper.

13. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    just got quoted yesterday $1950 including shipping and tax for a 4003 fireglo
    Sadly wont be in stock until march 2022

14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Exactly. Make sure you’re comparing like for like.

RichSnyder likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Sorry. The memo reads:

There are a lot of clueless amateur sellers flooding the used gear market of late hoping to cash in on what they believe is the ‘mad money’ that government sponsored economic stimulus payments represents. Expect smaller and less expensive items such as effect pedals to be hardest hit since the cost of entry into the market, and ease of shipping compared to guitars or amplifiers, makes it an attractive business fir anyone with some knowledge and a thousand dollars to spend on seed inventory.

Expect near-term asking prices to be significantly higher than normal despite the current glut of used gear on the market. ​

16. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you can get a 4003S for that much. They are cheaper than the standard 4003 because they're missing some of the accoutrements like body and neck binding, shark fin inlays etc.

17. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    I'd be surprised if very many people spent their stimulus on "seed inventory" just to re-sell. If they did, well....good luck, LOL

18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    The dollar lost buying power.

Ellery and themarshall like this.
  19. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    I saw a 4003s go for 1300 midpandemic.
    The prices will go back down soon enough.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    It’s not just RICs, music gear, and cycling related. Almost anything is for sale lightly used or new for more-than-new prices from resellers. It seems prices have risen due to a trend of fear driven buying that started with TP and hasn’t yet run its course.

JettBlaq and eadg98005 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021