1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I order the wrong thing? Confused...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I am rewiring a bass with master volume, treble cut and bass cut. Its an old Ernie Ball wiring diagram for a passive Stingray (I am rewiring an OLP).

The diagram calls for 2 caps - a .0022 and a .1. So ordered both as Orange Drops via eBay.

Well, today they arrived and I am a bit shocked. The .1 cap is the largest cap I have ever seen - here is a picture of it, with a normal sized Orange Drop and a regular pick for comparison/perspective. Did I order the wrong thing? Is this still usable, even though it is enormous? I think there is room in the cavity, but I am still a little taken aback. Thanks for your thoughts! Caps.png

mikewalker likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    You don't need 600 volt caps in your bass guitar...

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    ^mike is right. I am under the impression that they will work though.

TinIndian, fesem, jamro217 and 4 others like this.
  4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    LOL, so I didn't even look at voltage - I just searched for .1 cap for guitars or amps. My bad. #facepalm

Its funny because I am attaching it to a CTS mini pot, so I think the cap is actually bigger than the pot. Lesson learned I guess. So, should work though if I am reading correctly?

TinIndian, xn34, Spidey2112 and 4 others like this.
  6. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Caps are like people. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Sometimes the difference is because of an actual difference in spec. Capacitors of different capacitance will be different sizes (sometimes). But caps also have a voltage specification, which is essentially a nominal maximum. Those caps are 600v caps, when you could probably get by with less than a tenth of that.

Caps can also be made from different materials, which will have a big impact on their size and shape. A ceramic cap can be very tiny, even at large ratings. But other materials (electrolytic, for example) are much bigger.

And then there's a practical consideration. Sometimes, electrical components are packaged in many different sizes for a given specification. This gives circuit designers some flexibility in terms of choosing a physical size that matches their needs. A .1 uF ceramic cap can be nearly microscopically small, or as large as the caps you're showing.

Caps are also rated by many other factors, but those are the most common reasons why they come in different sizes.

But the good news is, those caps will work great for you. As long as you can fit them in your bass. There are theoretical arguments why you may not want a big package like that for an audio application, but IME they don't translate to the real world with any significance.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    yup no reason it won't work other than if space is at a premium. electrically, you're fine.

Dan_reeves likes this.
  8. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    I see there are lots of people typing more quickly than me today!

The "or amps" may have been what got you. Some amplifier designs do have very high voltages where the 600v rating would be appropriate.

9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    It is a narrow width channel, but I am pretty sure that depth will be fine. I will need to do better research next time haha!

10. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    It's also worth noting that literally searching for ".1 cap" might actually get you a part that's very wrong for your application.

Capacitance is rated in farads. One farad is extremely large. Huge. Gigantic. Most audio applications have values that are vastly smaller than that. What you're really looking for is a .1 uF (microfarad) cap. That's a decimal point with six zeros after it before you get to the one.

COYS, Dubious Aa, StayLow and 2 others like this.
  11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yep. Most passive systems put out less than 9v.

12. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I think the one I bought is correct though, right? I mean, obviously too many volts and its huge but otherwise I go the right one? I will try to find the diagram and share it here...

dwizum likes this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Not all of us typed out "War and Peace". :D

That was a darn fine post, sir.

Dan_reeves and dwizum like this.
  14. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Yes that part is correct - the 104J code stamped on it means .1 uF. The "10" are the first two numbers in the capacitance rating, and the "4" is the decade, which is basically a multiplier that tells you where the decimal point goes.

dkelley and Dan_reeves like this.
  15. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013

Attached Files:

dkelley likes this.
  16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Since no one has said it yet, I will: there are other film capacitors out there that are A LOT cheaper and do the same thing. Orange Drops were hot in the 60s back when other capacitors were crap. Now pretty much any film capacitor will perform just as good as an Orange Drop

Rabidhamster and COYS like this.
  17. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I don't doubt it at all - I just bought the first one I saw, at what to me was a reasonable price from a vendor that had both in stock. I'll assuredly do more research next time. :D

18. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I should also add, Dylan Talks Tone on YouTube suggests "J" tolerance caps or better - so that went into my search. I am good at soldering, but am pretty ignorant of all the actual importance electrical stuff. I just found a .1 cap that I already had that is a "K" tolerance. I might use that instead if the big guy doesn't fit.

19. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    That's good. I bought the hype HARD when I was in my early 20s. Sprague had more than a few lunches on me.

Dan_reeves likes this.
  20. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    K is fine. You're not going to even know if the value is off by a few percent.

There's a lot of very serious kool-aid when it comes to capacitors in guitars. I bet most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a film capacitor and a ceramic capacitor, much less different brands of film caps. Put something in and see how it sounds. If you don't like it, try something else.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021