Did I pay too much for this 1998 MIA Fender P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spooner2112, Oct 24, 2005.

1. spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I just scored this MIA 1998 Fender P off Ebay for $700. I received a "second chance" when the high bidder apparently didn't pay for it; I realize the bidding might have been inflated by a shill.

I've been looking for a good MIA sunburst P, and I really like the flame finish. I doubt the bass is worth "over $1300" because it is a "Limited Edition" as one person claims in the Q&A section of the listing. What do you all think? Was I taken?

1998 Fender P bass listing
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I'm not an expert, but I've been watching a lot of P's lately myself and this seems like you got a good deal. Maybe not a GREAT deal, but definitely good. With that flame and the (apparently) flawless finish, maybe it is a GREAT deal. Looks like a nice bass for a nice price though. If you're happy with it (playing it) then I wouldn't second guess it!
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    It's a good deal but not a great deal. Enjoy it and don't worry about the deal.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not what you'd call well-versed in P-bass lore...heh...but that seems like a pretty good deal to me.
  5. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    I hope you checked very carefully before taking up that second chance offer? Don't send any money until you can confirm that the offer is for real... I doubt that it is because the auction only finished yesterday so there was hardly any time for the buyer/seller to decide the deal was off. I have "lost" auctions and quite often will get a second chance offer which is clearly bogus. The first one I got was the day the auction finished and I was only the fourth highest bidder!!!

Double and triple check. Use the eBay auction site to email the original seller for confirmation and if you go ahead, complete the transaction through eBay, not via the second chance contact information.
  6. spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    The seller told me the deal wasn't closed with the original high bidder because he wasn't willing to ship to Russia. I did complete the transaction through Ebay via Paypal. The seller told me he will ship the bass today... hopefully everything is good.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think 98 is the best year for Fender since Leo owned the company. You paid a tiny bit more than I would have, but it's not an unfair deal.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    flame finish on a p-bass?
  9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , i saw that also ...
    a two piece body with flame ?

nice lookin' bass , hope you dig it !!
  10. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Congratulations Spooner. You had me worried for you because those second chance offers are so often a scam.

I've got a 72 P Bass, you can't go wrong with the original.
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Are my eyes messed up are does the SS# say N7 wouldn't that make it a 97?

Nice bass either way. I say no for paying to much for it.
  12. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I have a '97 sunburst P that I got in a trade. I like it better than some basses that go for over $1000. It really comes down to how a bass speaks in your hands. If you're happy with it then it's worth a lot more than $700. Market value only comes into play if you resell it - at which point you got a reasonable deal, not bad, not great.