1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I pay too much for this bass.......Modulus Q6 content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Oct 4, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Not that I really care all that much (side effect of GAS) as I REALLY REALLY wanted this bass, but I am curious as too what others would have paid for this bass. I paid the price listed on the website, $2350. This bass was a consignment bass at the Bass Emporium. I offered the owner $2200, but he/she said no (at least that's the story I get from the the Bass Emporium). Again, I have had no problem paying the full asking price for this bass. I did some research in the classifieds, but my search yielded varied results at best.....some Q6's were selling as low as $1500 - some as high as $2500. If you were me (w/o the GAS), what would yu have paid for this guy......

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=070363

usedmodq5amberf_big.

2. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    You said that you don't really care that much so... neither do I.

3. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    if i didn't see the picture i could tell you..
    but now, i too am struck by g.a.s.

4. considering the condition, the very nice finish and the barts pickups/pre (all things that bring the price up on a use modulus quantum), I say you maybe paid 250$ over what you could get, but it's still a fair price.

5. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    The true answer to your question will come if and when you decide to sell the bass.

6. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

True dat.......but todays market is fn brutal on the used market. I put my LEJ5 up for sale in the classifieds.....and had it listed at a REAL good price, I mean real good price.....I had a couple of nibbles - that was about it. If I like the bass, I plan on making it a keeper. I plan on keeping the bass. However, I have learned to never say that I will never sell a bass. If I ever do decide to sell the bass, hopefully it wont be in this market.

7. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I agree. I was kinda thinking $2000-$2200 would be be the going rate......but I understand how the consignment process works and how it affects the overall price. This bass is a real looker. I knew it wasnt going to last long...even at the price I paid, in today's economy.

8. I like this bass a lot. Someday I'd like to get a Q6 just to.

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    really depends on age and condition and desirability (for you) of the options on the bass. a new Q6 would run ya quite a bit more and a really beat up/old one would run you a lot less. if you are looking for that color, that pickup/pre combo...you done well. if you compromised on what you were looking for...you could've done better if you went for an older/more beat up one or different color or pickup/pre option.

10. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Id say you did fine. The fretboard looks a little worn compared to some that ive see so I wouldve offered about $2000-2100. Theres a nice lookin green one on ebay last week for $1799 as well.

11. My guess is that it's not worn, it's just dirty.

12. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    +1....the bass was built in 07'. Plus, it has a composite fret board. A composite material will typically wear harder than wood.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO you did very well. Congrats and enjoy.:)

14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    You got a good looking 6 string bass for a good price!

NOW I want dots on my Q6...:bawl:

[​IMG]

15. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    flaked. that is gorgeous

16. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    it's more than i would've paid I guess, but that top is great. I just sold my Q5 for $1400.

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks.

:cool:

18. The Quilt top is beautiful. Being an 07' I think you did well. Cheers!

19. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    that is one of the best quilt tops i think i have ever seen.....stunning.....and i thought the top on the bass i bought was killer????

20. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    To give you an idea, I paid $1400 for my Q6 which had a solid spanish cedar body (no quilt top), chrome hardware, Lane Poor pickups, & chechen fretboard. It was a little older but in pristine condition still. The difference is, you got the bass you wanted, and paid more, whereas I just bought what was available for less. You might lose a little on the resale, but it looks like a keeper so you might not have to worry about that. Enjoy it!!!

CIMG7200.