1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I pay too much?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by aknight53, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I came across an old 3/4 German bass (has a sticker inside that says made in Germany) and has a flat back, has had repairs to it, but felt very nice and plays well. I paid $800.00, but then wondered if I may have paid too much for a bass with repairs thinking it may need more repairs down the road. Tuners seem original and it came with 2 bows which I know nothing about! What are your opinions?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When I was bass shopping, older German basses in good working condition were going for $5k and upwards, and some of the ones at the lower end of that price range would have needed to be updated with fatter necks and more overstand, or had evidence of unconventional repairs such as screws. Of course the specifics of your bass will determine its value, but I am guessing that you got a real bargain.

Don't hesitate to take it to a luthier and get any necessary repairs done.

3. If it is a good bass, the $800.00 you bought it for plus repair costs could still be a bargain. Go to a luthier and have it checked out.

4. It will need repairs down the road. They all do.

Is the body plywood or solid wood? If it's plywood you got a good deal. If its solid wood you stole it. Assuming this is a 3/4 size bass in good health. Can you post photos? Where are you exactly? Maybe someone here could recommend a good shop nearby to take it to for a consultation.

5. If the bows are anything but junk, you might even have got a free bass.

I can't see how this can be anything but a good deal if it's playable, which you say it is.

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Pictures, please-top, back, scroll (all 4 sides).